We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 42 Posts
    I trialled Magento and found the latest version not too bad performance wise. It was slow as a dog a year ago but has improved heaps.

It’s clean API makes it relatively easy to integrate into MODx, you only need a few lines of code. I then modified the three main templates not to generate the page headers and footers, added some rewrite magic to .htaccess and voila the Magento front-end showed up in my MODx. I did not bother to integrate the back-end though.

However my preference would also be to have a native MODx cart with proper integration into the manager.
      • 463 Posts
      @hwmaier - I would love to know a little more about how you integrated Magento.

I’m on my 4th Magento project now and I have to say it is fantastic. A little difficult to get your head round at first but I’m flying now. To have it work alongside MODx would be a dream come true.

For someone to develop a similar application for MODx is going to take years - my advice would be ’don’t hold your breath - go down the Magento integration route’ they’ve thought of everything in terms of selling on the internet and you can get up and running pretty quickly - the only shortcoming is the CMS. That’s not taking anything away from the great work done by ScottyD and others - they’ve done some excellent stuff but if I had the programming skills I would choose to work on Magento / MODx integration.

I’ve got to disagree with jusmeig (sorry!) Magento is not convoluted - its theming and templating system will allow you to get where you need to be quickly, as long as you’ve done your reading and followed the excellent tutorials.
        Web site design in Nottingham UK by Chris Fickling http://www.chrisficklingdesign.co.uk
        • 42 Posts
        Quote from: chrisandy at Oct 05, 2009, 01:27 PM

@hwmaier - I would love to know a little more about how you integrated Magento.
        Ok I let the cat out of the bag, see my new post here: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,40682.0.html