We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 20 Posts
    You can get a seamless branded integration by modifying the template files associated with whatever cart you choose to roll with. Personally I like Zen-Cart a lot. Out of the box the templates are fairly well coded towards semantics and standards compatibility and has a good community backing, and it’s FREE! I used to exclusively use only X-Cart for all my eCommerce builds (NOT FREE, cost around $200), however X-Cart contains nasty, poor coding base and you will have to rewrite around 200 template files worth of code to bring it up to par with current standards.

I am actually going to be redesigning an old X-Cart site I did for one of my clients into a two part web solution: Part 1 - MODx for content management (company info, helpful tips, blogs, news, etc...), community building (forums, user testimonials, etc...) and SEO, Part 2 - The shopping cart used exclusively for the management and purchasing of product sales. Each will use their own database. The shop I will then put in a directory labeled www.mysite.com/shop/ the MODx side of things will of course be structured similar such as: www.mysite.com/blogs/ or www.mysite.com/forums/ or www.mysite.com/testimonials/. You get the idea. Also all of the importing/exporting of product CSV files you want to do can be done quite easily in Zen-Cart as well as most others.

One thing you may want to be cautious of when merging revenue generating apps (eCommerce) with Non-Revenue generating apps is: You don’t want anything you do, or your customer does, in MODx to affect the functionality of your eCommerce solution in a way that may prevent sales from taking place. If you are new to MODx you may want to keep them separated for now. Each application primarily only has detailed documentation on how to use their software, none have much documentation on merging solutions. If you merge the two together and something goes wrong you may find it quite hard to get support from the community and the developers sites.
      • 433 Posts
      Quote from: Taff at Dec 02, 2007, 07:14 PM

I like FoxyCart too, but depending on how many items you are planning on selling and how stingy your client is ie. to warrant the $15 month charge, you may want to look into E-Junkies www.fatfreecart.com for a free low key solution. It ties the Paypal API in with MODx, so it may be worth at least looking at.

I used it over on http://www.wssunaa.org/index.php?id=188 if you want to have a look(note my example only uses Paypal, but googleCheckout is also an option).

Taff

Hi Taff, I am looking for a similar setup to yours, can you guide me through the process?

Thanks
      Lee
        http://www.blend.uk.com | Web Design by Blend
        • 480 Posts
        Quote from: lw-d at Apr 11, 2008, 07:36 PM

Hi Taff, I am looking for a similar setup to yours, can you guide me through the process?

Thanks
        Lee

I sure can, although process is probably too large a word for it. I simply created a chunk with the code at http://www.fatfreecart.com/code.html placed in it....and called said chunk on that page. It’s as simple as that, no need to embed JS at the top or anything else you could oversee.

As I said, it’s a free option for a small quantity of items. It works well in this case.
        I am using FoxyCart everywhere else when a cart solution is requested and am over the moon not only with the ease of use and strength but in particularly the support that Brett and his team offer.

If you need anything else, then holler smiley

Taff
          Adrian Lawley: www.adrianlawley.com
          • 10 Posts
          Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I run a small web firm in Vermont. I was sad that the KiweeCommerce development had came to a hault, so I called up the good people that created Kiwee and I got my hands on the latest release of KiweeCommerce from the owners of the company and they said I have full permission to get this project up and going again. I have attached the latest release to this message.

I would basically like to take what they started with Kiwee and take it to the next level!

I have created a Google Code project for KiweeCommerce and I have uploaded the latest code there as well. Let’s take this to the next level! Here is the link: http://code.google.com/p/kiweecommerce/

Who is with me!!?
          >Mike.
            • 5 Posts
            Good
              • 4 Posts
              From the looks of it, MODx modules KiweeCommerce and TreasureChest are no longer in active development. This begs the question - is there no current best fit ecommerce/shopping cart solution for MODx? From initial research it looks like Magento is my best option for open source ecommerce but I get the feeling integration will be a huge pain. Any insights?

A topic like this should probably be a sticky.
              • http://foxycart.com is also a good choice that takes very little time to integrate with MODx.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 964 Posts
                  Magento is good for very large shops, in the thousands of products and
                  needs lots of resources that almost ensure that you need a VPS or dedicated
                  server to run it smoothly.

FoxyCart is a good choice and check ShopKeeper from our Russian Community that
                  is in development but it looks very, very promising...
                    MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
                    • 697 Posts
                    Don’t go anywhere near http://www.magentocommerce.com

The templating system is so convoluted that you would have 6 shopping carts built in the time it will take you to change the logo out smiley Plus its slow (or at least was for me)

Foxycart is not idea if you are dealing with a large inventory of products. Foxy will handle adding items to the cart, and process payment etc...but it has no backend stock manager etc.

Kiwee is not being supported much at the moment.
                    MODx Warehouse is in development by ScottyD. Really looking forward to this one as they are building backend tools for managing stock levels and inventory etc.

In the past i’ve just build bespoke modules to do the above, it would be great to see a solid/stable shopping cart solution for MODx.

• MODx Warehouse? Hmmm... I really want to take a look on this smiley
                      What time will be available?
                        BASE - Web Design Studio
                        MODX Ambassador

Website