We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 144 Posts
    Hi,

I am pulling my hairs out here on ModX 2.3.5

I followed different documentation, of which several docs were outdated and for other versions.

The access permissions is so complicated ...

I just want to make a new user, who has only full edit access to only 2 resource ID's.

thanks !
      • 5,888 Posts
      Are they in the root or deep in the tree?
        -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 144 Posts
        Quote from: Bruno17 at Aug 20, 2015, 03:07 PM
        Are they in the root or deep in the tree?

one in the root, and one is a direct child from a container. [ed. note: sriananda last edited this post 8 years, 8 months ago.]
          • 24,544 Posts

It's hard to know what you want, since you haven't described:

1. The kind of access you want other users to have to those pages

2. The kind of access you want that specific user to have to other pages.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 144 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Aug 20, 2015, 11:23 PM

It's hard to know what you want, since you haven't described:

1. The kind of access you want other users to have to those pages

2. The kind of access you want that specific user to have to other pages.

Non logged-in users should fully see those pages, but not editing.
            The specific logged in users should only see, edit, save but not delete those resources. Other resources are for them invisible in rhe backend.

Ps Bob : I bought your ebook on Modx, I'm halfway now. I learn best by practical exampkes and video tutorials.

Thanks
            • Skip a bit further and read the section on Security and Permissions. Set up your users just as Bob describes, you'll be able to put them into their own resource group and the other users into another with different permissions for each. Put your special pages into the special users resource group.

Follow the directions in that section, don't skip any steps. Your users and their resources will work.
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                • 144 Posts
                Quote from: frogabog at Aug 21, 2015, 07:33 AM
                Skip a bit further and read the section on Security and Permissions. Set up your users just as Bob describes, you'll be able to put them into their own resource group and the other users into another with different permissions for each. Put your special pages into the special users resource group.

Follow the directions in that section, don't skip any steps. Your users and their resources will work.
                Thanks,

I had followed all the instructions in that section. I have a Dutch version of Modx 2.3.5, but I managed to :

1) made 2 resource groups :
                1.1) one with all pages + I checked "give admin auto access"
                1.2) one with the two "special access"-pages + I checked "make user group for this"

2) I made a new role "editor", and dragged it under "special access" - user group
                2.1) I set the context mgr & web

3) when I tried to log in with "editor" : I just couldn't log in

4) a normal visitor, which was not logged in, was no longer able to simply view those "special pages" in web-context

I find this very difficult ...
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Thanks for buying my book. smiley

It can be difficult to get it right.

To let everyone see the pages in the front end, you need to create a Resource Group Access ACL entry for the (anonymous) group for the "special access" resource group in the web context with a Policy of Load Only.

In order to log in, the "special Access" user group needs a Context Access ACL entry for the mgr context.
                  In order to see 'web' context pages in the tree, that group also needs a Context Access ACL entry with a context of 'web'.

You might find this video helpful. I explain the permissions system from the inside. It's about 50 minutes long. https://vimeo.com/54360208
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting