We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    Here's the sequence that still needs to be tested:

1. Change the custom field in the Manager
    2. Delete the files in the core/cache directory
    3. Check for the change in the web context.

Thanks for checking these.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 86 Posts
      I followed this sequence exactly:

1. Change the custom field in the Manager
      2. Delete the files in the core/cache directory
      3. Check for the change in the web context.

No joy. The web context is not reading the updated data from the database. Yet, I can update the user profile from the web and it gets saved to the database and appears in Manager.

Here are the beginnings of the web view and update profile chunks:

[[$lgnProfileViewFormCustom]]
      ---------------------------------
      <div id="profileView" align="center">
      <h2>Profile View</h2>
      [[!SetUserPlaceholders]]
      [[!Profile]]
      <table>
      <tr>
      <td style="width:130px; font-weight: bold;">Username:</td>
      <td style="width:190px;">[[+username]]</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style="font-weight: bold;">First Name:</td>
      <td>[[+firstName]]</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style="font-weight: bold;">Last Name:</td>
      <td>[[+lastName]]</td>
      </tr>

[[$lgnProfileUpdateFormCustom]]
      ---------------------------------
      <div align="center">
      <h2>Update Profile</h2>
      [[!ExtUserUpdateProfile]]
      [[!UpdateProfile]]
      <div class="updProfile">
      <div class="updProfileMessage">[[+error.message]]</div>
      [[+login.update_success:if=`[[+login.update_success]]`:is=`1`:then=`[[%login.profile_updated? &namespace=`login` &topic=`updateprofile`]]`]]
      <form id="updProfileForm" class="form" action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="nospam:blank" value="" />

<table>
      <tr>
      <th colspan="3" align="right"><span class="validateError">*</span> indicates a required field</th>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td>Username:</td>
      <td class="nonEdit">[[+modx.user.username]]</td>
      <td> </td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td><label for="firstName">[[!%login.firstName? &namespace=`login` &topic=`updateprofile`]]</label></td>
      <td><input type="text" name="firstName" id="firstName" value="[[+firstName]]" /></td>
      <td><span class="validateError">[[!+error.firstName]]</span></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td><label for="lastName">[[!%login.lastName? &namespace=`login` &topic=`updateprofile`]]</label></td>
      <td><input type="text" name="lastName" id="lastName" value="[[+lastName]]" /></td>
      <td><span class="validateError">[[!+error.lastName]]</span></td>
      </tr>
        • 24,544 Posts
        Thanks so much for your testing. That pretty much eliminates the MODX cache as the issue. I've got one last test for you -- an easy one this time. I'm starting to suspect the browser cache here, so after updating the data, use incognito or private mode in your browser to check the front end.
          My MODX Extras
          • 86 Posts
          I updated one of the custom user fields in Manager (via Firefox), and then opened an incognito window (via Chrome) to view and edit the user profile from the web context.

It's not happening. The web context is just not reading the latest custom field data from the `ext_user_data` table. The web context DOES read the core field data (user name, email, etc.) just fine.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Again, I really appreciate your testing this. I don't doubt your reports, but what you're describing seems flat-out impossible. We seem to have established that the front-end page is not getting the data to display from the MODX cache, the browser cache, or the MODX database.

Unless you or your host are running a third-party caching system (Varnish, APC, AWS, CloudFlare, CloudFront, etc.), I'm stumped.
              My MODX Extras
              • 86 Posts
              I'm happy to do whatever it takes. Unfortunately, this issue could be a show stopper for us, in terms of user access.

The site is hosted by HostGator, and while they offer the option to sign up for CloudFlare, I have not done that. So, as far as I know, there are no other caching systems in place.

I don't think it's relevant, but just in case: This MODX site is running under an add-on domain. The host web server is located under a different primary domain. The MODX system, and the files that the MODX file manager sees, are in a subdirectory below [public_html/].

The fact that this MODX web site is an add-on domain hasn't been a problem for any other aspect of MODX functionality, so it's probably not an issue.

If there are any debug snippets you might suggest, I'm happy to go there. Or, if you'd like access to the site, let me know.
              • discuss.answer
                • 86 Posts
                Problem solved! Before installing ClassExtender, I was experimenting with Extended Fields. I had added extended fields to this particular test user, before installing ClassExtender. It turns out that the web profile view and profile update forms were viewing the extended field attributes, even though they were updating the custom ClassExtender fields.

I just deleted those extended field attributes on this test user, and now the web context is reflecting ALL changes made via Manager to the custom fields.

Thanks for your help!
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back. smiley
                    My MODX Extras