We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,078 Posts
    I may be tasked with creating a sign up form for some events. While I'm fairly comfortable building forms and having the values emailed, I'm a bit stumped on how I might be able to have the value put into the database, from which at any given point I could call up or display all of the information and print it out.

Would formIt2db be the solution for this?

Additionally, I think I might need to also be able to limit the number of registrations as well.

If formIt2db is the path to use, would is be advisable for me to use a separate database than the one I'm using for MODx? [ed. note: mmcgee last edited this post 9 years ago.]
      • 5,888 Posts
      formit2db should work.
      If you need to check the number of registrations, you can do it with another hook, running before the formit2db - hook.
      The hook would check the number of existing registrations and return false, if the limit is reached.
      Additionally, you can hide the form alltogether, if the limit was reached.

No need to use a separate database.
        -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 1,078 Posts
        Thanks Bruno. I'll give it a go.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Another option would be Subscribe, which pretty much handles the whole thing for you.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 1,078 Posts
            That might even be better. So now I can rest easy that I have a couple of approaches. I now need to determine and refine the type of info I will be gathering, along with all of the various event details.

Thanks for the feedback.
              • 1,078 Posts
              Hey Bob: So is Subscribe what you use on your site?

• 24,544 Posts
                Yes it is. You'd want to style it differently, but I think it's fairly flexible in that regard (though I've never modified it). I use it with Notify to send updates to my subscribers via Mandrill and to send tweets on new or updated pages. FYI, Notify can be used to send any kind of message to subscribers.

Another advantage is that the registration email system is more secure than the one in Register, since none of the user's login credentials are used for the link in the registration email.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 1,078 Posts
                  Subscribe and formIt2db both seem like solid methods. At this juncture, I'm realizing that I need a lot more information about the scope of the project before I start trying to build a system for it.

Thanks for the suggestions.