We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Hello mmcgee,

Thank you for the link.
    I finally had a talk with the support, we did some tests and I can for example access a page called manager/text/txt. I still have the same problem though. They say it's not on their side, they did not block any IP or throw any mod_security on the site. They are really not familiar with Modx though. I got a 500 error while using Firefox to see the errors.

I think If I re-install, it's just gonna be the same with that hosting and time is flying fast, I have to finish this website.

Any more insights ??

Thank you !

[ed. note: merrymerry last edited this post 9 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 1,078 Posts
      Sorry. This gets quickly over my head.

You may need to obtain the exact errors and post them (delete some of the paths for security reasons before you post of course).

Try to obtain your MODx error log. It's located in core/cache/logs/error.log
      You should be able to open error.log with a text editor. There may be no errors. There may be tons of random errors. Then again, there may be the same type of error repeated, which may get you closer to what the snag is.

See if the host support can provide you with a copy of any errors generated by the server—this was more helpful in my situation.

Have you tried running the setup again? Might not be necessary, since it sounds like you were working on the files and then MODx stopped working. Which brings me to another question that is not meant to be offensive at all.

Your initial post mentioned that you were editing some css and js and then MODx stopped loading. Where you editing your own CSS and JS or the MODx CSS and JS when the site went down? I'm going to assume that it what your own css and js, which should have zero impact on the MODx manager loading.

Another question:
      Where you able to publish any pages in the site?
      If Yes, are you able to navigate to one of those pages? Does it load? As in, the page loads, but the MODx manager doesn't.

Grasping at straws here, but certainly, having detailed error message might allows others more experienced members of the forum to assist.
      • discuss.answer
        • 1,078 Posts
        One other trick:

First — see if you can go grab the error.log and download a copy to your desktop.

Then—go in via the File Manager, or your FTP application and delete the contents of the cache... core/cache

Then—tried to log in and load the manager again and see if it loads.

I'm pretty sure that when you make updates to system settings, you have to clear the cache so that your changes take hold. Someone can correct me if I am wrong

• discuss.answer
          • 7 Posts
          Just at the same time I got your answer, I stumbled on this link:
          http://mercstudio-tech.blogspot.fr/2013/01/modx-manager-error-500.html
          I changed the paths nothing worked.

I did go to the error log, some errors but nothing significant.
          With the support guy though, I did change several ht.access files to .htaccess. Only changed one several days ago and found others inside the file directories.

It's just now that I have cleaned the cache as you said that everything's working fine again !

To answer your other questions (not offensive at all) all pages that were already published were visible on the site and the links working perfectly just the manager that was invisible. I also worked only on my onw css and js files.

So thank you very much mmcgee for your help! So glad I have found help here. Doing the final cleaning of the core/cache was indeed the solution.

Thank you to everyone else too.

Best regards,
          Merry

• 1,078 Posts
            Excellent! Breathe a sigh of relief and have a terrific day.
              • 7 Posts
              oooh yes ! I am sooo relieved !! wink)
              Have a great day too. and thanks very much again
                • 60 Posts
                sebastian-marinescu Reply #17, 8 years, 4 months ago
                I'd like to add for anybody stumbling upon this:

I had to change the permissions for the core/cache folder to 777.