We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 178 Posts
    Hello all,
    Using Revo 2.3.3-pl
    I have a rather unusual problem I think, probably caused by my stupidity or perhaps ignorance :-(

I was developing a website using a server running cpanel and installatron. Partway through the development it was decided to change the domain name, so I needed to transfer the work already completed to the new domain. Installatron provides a cloning facility so I cloned the existing site, left it in place, checked that everything was working OK under the new domain name and that config.inc.php was set up correctly, and happily continued development. Everything good.

About a week ago I tried intalled a small extra and the install didn't work very well so I didn't bother any further as it wasn't vital - removed it and continued on.
    Yesterday I installed another more critical extra and had problems with the install - although the extra showed in the menu, when I tried to access it the page was blank other than the resources menu on the left. When I checked the database no changes had been made by the new extra so I went searching.

The database changes had been made in the old database used with the original domain name - not the datebase created for the new domain by the cloning process and shown in config.inc.php

Searching for the problem led me to check config.core.php in both the site root and the manager folder - in both instances the path referred back to the old installation. Instead of /public_html/new_domain.com/core/ it has /public_html/old_domain.com/core/ in both instances, so obviously the cloning process didn't make the changes in these files. Simply changing the path in those config.core.php files doesn't fix the problem - perhaps there are other things missed too? I have tried replacing the data in the new database with that from the original but that doesn't help either.

Any suggestions (other than starting all over again - please no?) would be greatly appreciated.

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      Don't panic. wink

There are three config.core.php files (four if you count the one in the setup directory).

One in the MODX root
      One in the manager directory
      One in the connectors directory

Setting the paths in these files is important, but it won't solve your problem. To do that, you need to modify the database name and credentials found in the core/config/config.inc.php file to point to the new DB. While you're there, check the paths and URLs in that file.

The three config.core.php files and the config.inc.php file completely determine where MODX looks for things, so once they're correct you should be OK.

BTW, running setup after moving the site will often straighten out the paths (though the DB connection would still be wrong).
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 178 Posts
        Thanks Bob - all fixed. I had missed the config.core.php file in the connectors directory. All the details/paths in the core/config/config.inc.php had actually been set up correctly by the cloning process and it had cloned the database as well.
        Your assistance is appreciated

• 24,544 Posts
          I'm glad you got it working. smiley
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting