We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 110 Posts
    I have a new install of 2.3.3 and a project that is just getting off the ground, only a half dozen resources created and only addons installed are Formit, Login, and Wayfinder.

It seems that 90% of the time when I click to open a resource or an element, the manager locks up, freezes Firefox to the point of saying "not responding", then finally snaps out of it about 10 seconds later.

The attached picture is an error that often gets displayed when Firefox is not responding.
    It's not the server, as this is an 8-core, 8GB RAM dedicated server. Plenty of room here.

I can't find out what script is causing it, since if I have something like dev tools open, that just freezes up too so I can't see what script is causing it, but I'm pretty sure it's some part of ExtJS.

Anybody else have this issue? It's quite unproductive to have to wait 10+ seconds to load every resource and wait for the browser to lock up and come back to life!
    Other parts of the interface are perfectly fast, accessing settings, saving documents, browsing front-end and package manager etc. Just opening the resources and elements takes time. Heck, even doing "quick edit" is fast, it's only when loading the main Rs and Es.

Thanks
    • Hm. Odd. I just this last few days noticed this happening on a number of sites, although I don't recall it on any MODX Manger pages. Nothing consistent, just everything freezing for a few seconds then working again apparently at random.

What browser? Which RTE are you using for resources, and which one for Elements? Does this happen if you turn off RTEs in the system settings?
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 110 Posts
        Quote from: sottwell at Mar 03, 2015, 03:51 PM
        Hm. Odd. I just this last few days noticed this happening on a number of sites, although I don't recall it on any MODX Manger pages. Nothing consistent, just everything freezing for a few seconds then working again apparently at random.

What browser? Which RTE are you using for resources, and which one for Elements? Does this happen if you turn off RTEs in the system settings?

I'm not using any RTEs. I had installed CodeMirror but it was acting strange so it's been disabled during this whole problem.

I just completely removed CodeMirror as a test to see if it will still act up.
          • 110 Posts
          I'm still having some intermittent script timeouts.
          Something in ExtJS scripts getting locked up and it's beyond me to troubleshoot.

If I'm the only one, well, who knows. Maybe some others have it too and somebody will figure it out.
          • Having the same issue. Firefox freezes upon clicking or saving a resource or template in the Manager.

Strangely enough only on one of the PC's (all equal, except this one which has a different graphic card). [ed. note: handjes last edited this post 9 years ago.]
              • 24,544 Posts
              I was going to suggest turning off the "feed" System Settings, but if it's doing it when you save a Resource, that probably wouldn't help.

I'd suggest turning off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings if you haven't already, and manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 142 Posts
                mtalvenheimo Reply #7, 9 years ago
                I'm also having the same FF issue.
                -Revo 2.3.2.
                -Redactor RTE (but that's not the problem i guess?)
                -It's inconsistent. Sometimes everything (works for a while).
                • @BobRay: it's with all Managers of every sites. The Manager makes Firefox stall / freeze. Turning off compress_js and compress_css, emptying cache, etc. is not the solution.

Like mtalvenheimo wrote: it's not all the time strangely. I am trying to find out in which occasions. Maybe it's got something to do with some Firefox Add-ons.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Interesting. Firefox has been doing this for me lately on lots of different sites. I thought it was solar flares. wink
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 20 Posts
                      Quote from: handjes at Mar 19, 2015, 11:25 AM
                      Turning off compress_js and compress_css, emptying cache, etc. is not the solution.
                      Have you checked it? Or it's your theory? Because i have the same problem and guess what - setting compress_js to NO Works!
                      I have no idea why, but i'm gonna check it.

Quote from: BobRay at Mar 17, 2015, 08:27 PM
                      I'd suggest turning off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings if you haven't already, and manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.
                      As i mentioned above: It's works perfect smiley Thanks for your tip.

But I will check it anyway, because chrome can handle compressed files without that problem.

EDIT:

I wonder why "Unresponsive Script" popup doesn't pop, when FF is frozen... Maybe it's because it's not MODx manager script, but some FF addon's script? BINGO! So i started checking which. First shot - AdBlock Plus and... boom - perfect shot!

I disabled it on my page, and voila - works perfect (even with compressed js scripts):)
                      Cheers. [ed. note: jacqbus last edited this post 9 years ago.]