We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 91 Posts
    Apologies if it is an error to begin a new thread. The problem looks the same as the difficulty some had saving changes to templates, where a change can be made using Quick Edit but can't be made using the full edit functionality. When trying to save changes to a resource the saving bar displays into perpetuity and the resource is not updated. Same behaviour in Firefox, Chrome and IE. No problems saving changes to templates. It is only resources that cannot be updated except by Quick Edit.

The solution for the similar problem with templates was here:

http://tracker.modx.com/issues/6931

The workaround from Mark Hamstra involved changing a line in a PHP file in the core. I see the core in 2.3.2 now includes that workaround.

Mention is also made of time zone issues, especially that the time zone used by MySQL should be the same as that in the MODX System Settings. I have checked the time zone on MySQL using:

SELECT IF( @ @session.time_zone = 'SYSTEM', @ @system_time_zone , @ @session.time_zone )  

It returns GMT (the server is in London, UK), so have entered GMT in the system settings time zone field, and checked that the offset is set to 0. Also deleted the cache files in the core. Cleared the sessions and logged out. The logged in and cleared the browser's cache. No improvement.

Repeated the procedure for Europe/London in place of GMT in the system settings, both without and with single quotes. The problem remains.

Also tried adding the line below to the .htaccess file

SetEnv TZ Europe/London

Using that in place of php_value date.timezone "Europe/London" because the latter threw 500 errors.

I have a number of sites using MODX Revo on the same server, so far without this problem.

PHP 5.3.29
    Linux pluto.uksrv.co.uk 2.6.18-374.12.1.el5.lve0.8.54 #1 SMP Wed Jan 4 18:40:17 EET 2012 x86_64
    MySQL Server version: 5.5.40-cll - MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Any ideas?

This question has been answered by whitebyte. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 196 Posts
      One possible reason is an incorrect work of mod_security. Please check your browser console for error messages when trying to save a resource in a regular (not quick edit) way.
        • 24,544 Posts
        If you're not sure if the date/timezone issue is fixed, SiteCheck will do a definitive check on the MySQL, PHP, and MODX date/timezone settings to verify that they match.

If it's not a date/timezone issue, mod_security is the best bet as the culprit as whitebyte suggests. If you record the time when the problem occurs, your host can probably tell you if mod_security logged an event at that point.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 91 Posts
          Thanks for the suggestion, WhiteByte, but the developer tools in Firefox, at least, don't flag any errors, there is just an infinite series of:
          reflow: 0.22ms
          reflow: 0.29ms function .getStyle</<, ext-all.js line 21
          reflow: 0.24ms
          reflow: 0.29ms function .getStyle</<, ext-all.js line 21
          reflow: 0.22ms
          reflow: 0.28ms function .getStyle</<, ext-all.js line 21

Bob, The sales pitch persuaded me and I paid for the SiteCheck, but what's missing there is a sentence for MODX dummies (coz there are a few around) who don't know how to use it. That isn't a traditional package, I take it. Is the sitecheck folder (contained within your zip file) supposed to be uploaded to the core/components folder of the MODX installation? Hve tried setting the Force PLC ZIPArchive setting to Yes, but cannot upload the zip file of SiteCheck inside the package management facility. Trying to upload leads to "Permission Denied".

Apologies for the above. Clicking the link in your forum signature helped me find the info:
          http://bobsguides.com/sitecheck-tutorial.html#InstallingSiteCheck

The site check works nicely. The results show time zones are okay.

The only problems are two characterset and collation errors in the database table:

Checking Table: modx_actions_fields
          1 columns with charset mismatches
          1 columns with collation mismatches
          Checking Table: modx_fc_sets
          1 columns with charset mismatches
          1 columns with collation mismatches

Will try to fix those and see if I can save the rest of my forehead from the damage caused by all this violent confrontation of flesh and keyboard.

Thanks.

Update: Fixed the collation and characterset errors using another impressive Bob Ray script, but the problem remains. Will try contacting the hosting folks to ask about mod_security. [ed. note: cottagestuff last edited this post 9 years, 3 months ago.]
            • 24,544 Posts
            Thanks for buying SiteCheck. smiley

I've seen those exact same four character-set issues reported before. I wonder what causes them. What was the character set of your DB?

You should also go into PhpMyAdmin, select the MODX DB, click on the SQL tab. Put the code below in the window and click on the Go button -- see what you get.

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE  'char%';
              My MODX Extras
              • 91 Posts
              Thank you again, Bob, for all your help and the impressive scripts. In the end, the problem was a mod_security issue. I contacted the host, they confirmed that and whitelisted the site. So problem solved.

You ask about the characterset issue. But since the diagnosis given by SiteCheck I took the opportunity to change all the table over to UTF8. Previously it was Latin1 - the default. When running the check you suggest now, the results are:

character_set_client 	        utf8
              character_set_connection 	utf8
              character_set_database 	        utf8
              character_set_filesystem 	binary
              character_set_results 	        utf8
              character_set_server 	        latin1
              character_set_system 	        utf8

Thanks again.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Looks good. That should prevent future trouble. IIRC, character_set_server only comes into play if you create a new DB and forget to set its character set in the creation process.
                  My MODX Extras