We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 22 Posts
    I've set up a Members Only section on a Linux server that works fine.

When I tried setting it up on a client's Windows server, the ability to assign User group access to specific Resources is non functional.

For example, on a Linux server, when I assign a "Protected Group" to a Resource, it automatically gets hidden from my navigation. On the Windows server, nothing happens.

Anyone suggestions on why this might be occurring?

Thanks.
      • 24,544 Posts
      You probably know this, but just in case ... assigning a Resource to a Resource Group doesn't protect it from a user in a given context unless the Resource Group is connected to a User Group the user is not a member of using a Resource Group Access ACL entry for the given context.

Also, the resource would only be hidden from you if you are not a member of the User Group and are not a sudo user.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 22 Posts
        Thanks BobRay.

I have the Resource tied to a Protected Resource Group, which is tied to a Protected User Group.

On the Linux server, when I check the Protected User Group via Resources Tab/Access, it hides that Resource from public view.

If I follow the same process on the Windows server, nothing happens.

I am not as familiar with Windows servers, so wasn't sure if there was some known issue/setting that needed to be adjust.

Thanks.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Permission stuff won't take effect until you flush permissions and all sessions and possibly delete all files in the core/cache directory. It could actually be an issue with Windows, but try those first.
            My MODX Extras
            • 22 Posts
            I tried all of the above, but it did not work.

My guess is that it's something to do with a Windows server, but was hoping maybe others experienced something similar and could advise on a possible adjustment or setting for the Windows server.

• 24,544 Posts
              I've seen enough reports of trouble that I avoid using Windows servers for MODX. That said, it can be done.

I know Patrick at SkyToaster is an expert on this, so maybe he'll chime in.
                My MODX Extras