We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 11 Posts
    Hello guys! And thanks for ModX!

Had a problem while trying to upgrade ModX Revo 2.2.5 to ModX Revo 2.3.1 in my devel environment. It's LAMP under Windows7. What has been done:

1. Did the filesystem and DB backup
    2. Cleared the ModX cache of working Revo 2.2.5 site
    3. Logged out from manager
    4. Removed the webroot directory of Revo 2.2.5 site
    5. Copied files from zip archive with Revo 2.3.1 to the webroot directory
    6. Copied all files and directories containing assets, static files (templates, snippets, chunks and so forth) back to webroot
    7. Performed the ModX update using /setup utility (it was running without any problem)
    8. Cleared all cookies

The result is far from being perfect. There's a lot of problems (concerning only manager, the frontend has less critical problems). Also tried to upgrade in other ways but the result was even worse.

Problems in manager:

• Impossibility to log out correctly
    • No resource tree at the left side of the dashboard
    • Blank page with menu bar for most manager pages

Some browser debug console output:

[ul]
    [li]
    GET http://site.local/connectors/modx.config.js.php?action=&wctx=mgr 404 (Not Found)
    [/li]
    [li]
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'toLowerCase' of undefined
    in multiuploaddialog.js:3[/li]
    [li]
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of undefined
    in modx.js:846[/li]
    [li]
    Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'request' of undefined
    in ext-all.js:21[/li]
    [/ul]

Guess that there's a problem with system settings (ModX still tries to use some files from 2.2.5 instead of 2.3.1) but have no idea how to fix it. Giving a guide how to migrate to later versions LOCALLY could be a good idea.

Thannks in advance!
      • 24,544 Posts
      First, turn off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings. If you can't do it in the Manager, you can do it in the modx_system_settings table in the DB (change the 1 to a 0).

Then, log out and manually delete all files in the core/cache directory and clear your browser cache and cookies (again).

If that doesn't do it, it's possible that the method you used to install the new files didn't overwrite existing files.

You may also have a plugin or snippet that's not compatible with 2.3.1, though I think that's less likely.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 11 Posts
        BobRay, thanks for the assistance. However it didn't help.

What has been done before logging into manager:

• The /core/cache was wiped.
        • All the components were updated to actual versions.
        • Compression was set to 0 manually (using 3rd party database management software).
        • In plus, i used a newly installed browser with empty cache and cookies.

Some more debug console output:

TypeError: MODx.config.upload_files is undefined

TypeError: MODx.user is undefined

TypeError: this.proxy is undefined

Will try alternative approaches.
          • 11 Posts
          Another try (with slightly better results).

• Backed up the Revo 2.5 database.
          • Did a fresh install of Revo 2.3.1. The admin user remained the same as for the old Revo 2.5 installation.
          • Replaced the new Revo 2.3.1 DB by a previously backed 2.5 DB using 3rd party software.
          • Copied all non-ModX-core files and dirs i could find (components, chunks, snippets etc.) to fresher Revo 2.3.1 .
          • Cleared browser cache.

The result is somewhat strange.

• The frontend is partially functional.
          • The backend allows any operation (e.g. CRUD operations on chunks, snippets, templates, TVs...) besides resource editing.
          • Editing a resource causes the browser to hang.

Browser console observation gives the possible reason. The /connectors/index.php invoked by /manager/assets/ext3/adapter/ext/ext-base.js is loading infinitely (until the page crashes). Console shows 3 such events occuring during an attempt to edit any resource.

Any new idea? Thanks in advance.
            • 24,544 Posts
            I use XAMPP on Windows, so I'm not much help with LAMP -- and it's starting to look like a LAMP issue.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting