We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    modx-2.3.1-pl-advanced / migration issue

Checked and updated my config files and all paths properly as far I can tell (and cleared caches and the usual) and site seems to be running fine with only the following issue. This has occurred after migration a site from development on localhost to production server. Ran advanced setup again, etc.

Would greatly appreciate any help or thoughts on this one. It's been a little while since I migrated a site smoothly on MODx and i'm trying to compile a quick method guide to migrating a site from development localhost to web for future reference!

SITE MIGRATION ISSUE / RESOURCES UPDATING:

Q: All Resources, Elements, and Files display in the manager resource tree, and I can edit/update Elements and Files but cannot view or update Resources:
    action/url ex. = "
    manager/?a=resource/update&id=15]
    "

, which results in a blank page.

UPDATE: no errors in error log
    /****
    Error log:

CORRECTION: These are from an unused add-on "AssetManager" called "Assman" - what a p.i.t.a., uninstalling this for the sake of troubleshooting and getting rid of these unrelated errors.

[2014-08..] (ERROR @ /[path]/manager/index.php) Could not load class: PageAsset from mysql.pageasset.
    [2014-08..] (ERROR @ /[path]/manager/index.php) Could not load class: Asset from mysql.asset.

* Also were 2 errors from an "assman component" package that I assume I installed (not employing yet) before migrating from localhost that I doubt have anything to do with this issue
    ****/

NOTE:
    [I am aware of existing guide, Moving Your Site to a New Server: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/moving-your-site-to-a-new-server, but I think it would help to have a step-by-step to help people] Admins/Members: if there is another such step-by-step guide, please let me know or if you want me to contribute this when I'm done (soon wink)

RELATED ISSUE, fixed:
    Also had this issue fixed, where the manager console when trying to clear the cache, for example, wouldn't load,

Q: Can't clear cache/ console doesn't load?
    A: Run Manage > Remove Locks (on all manager pages)

LASTLY, I can of course start the whole migration process over again as I'm refining it for future reference, but I am very curious, wanting to track down the cause and find a direct manual fix first.

Thanks!

This question has been answered by giantcarrot. See the first response.

[ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
      • 38 Posts
      Update, I am continuing my research and will update here.

Looks like some connectors folders were deleted on the upgrade reinstall? Very strange...

CORRECTION: My deployment version and development that worked just fine had none of the below "missing folders" - going to add them and see what happens...

I discovered these via a BobRay post on forum. Ran this script of craftsmancoding/modx_utils > test_config.php available on github: https://github.com/craftsmancoding/modx_utils

And it listed: Error

The following errors were detected:
      /path/site/connectors/browser folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/context folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/element folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/layout folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/resource folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/security folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/source folder does not exist!
      /path/site/connectors/workspace folder does not exist!
      [ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 8 months ago.]
        • 38 Posts
        UPDATE #2 - I added the above "missing folders" folders devoid of content (I have no idea what they are for and are not needed to run my copy of modx, meant for an older version or other add-ons perhaps):

Success!

Your MODX installation appears to be set up correctly. This is not a guarantee that your site is running correctly! It means that your site is free from the bigger errors and misconfigurations.

Nor does this solve the problem and according to this recommended script, my installation appears sound enough, not including standard config issues. BUT, back to square 1. Please see above first post, helpful answers appreciated!
        • discuss.answer
          • 38 Posts
          UPDATE: UNBELIEVABLE. UNINSTALLED ADD-ON: AssetManager (craftsmancoding). Works fine now.

This is just wrong imo where you can install an add-on from the depository where it screws up and cripples native functionality WITHOUT WARNING on install! B.S.

MODx should have better quality control in this dept. I wasted a lot of time because I stupidly and naively installed an add-on and then deployed my site without seeing that it breaks the native resource editing functionality.

[ed. note: giantcarrot last edited this post 9 years, 7 months ago.]