We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 28 Posts
    For a little while I've had an annoying quirk with the resource tree in the manager. When I login to the manager the resource tree on the left is completely blank, several page reloads might eventually load up the resource list however with 2.3 even this stopped working.

The usual advice on here seems to be turn off js and css compression and clear the cache. This was done to no avail, it still wouldn't load. However whilst trying to track this down I noticed a trend which was repeatable.

On the "resource" tree there are the 3 tabs, resources, elements and files. The thing I noticed is that which ever tab was current is the one that ended up blank when I reloaded the page. The two hidden tabs would display correctly when I selected them. So if I loaded the page with elements selected this would be blank, I could then switch to resources and see my resources. If I then reloaded the page then the resources would be completely blank, but I could switch to the elements tab and these would now be displayed correctly.

So a couple of reasons for this post - first has anyone else seen this behaviour? If so have they been able to fix it? Second is to raise this as a potential work around. I noticed quite a few posts about blank resource trees in the manager, in addition to all the advice about disabling js and css compression and cache clearance this may help others if they see the same problem.
      • 24,544 Posts
      That sounds really annoying. It might be worth a try to view the Manager in an incognito window. If that solves it, clearing your browser cache *and cookies*, would probably fix things.

Have you tried using a different browser? I've seen Manager quirks in both Chrome and Firefox.

It actually sounds like a JS timing problem, with the JS that renders the tree executing before its data is available, though I think that would be less likely in 2.3 than in 2.2. There are some caching options in System Settings that you might try, particularly refreshcache_ajax_delay and manager_js_cache_file_locking.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,078 Posts
        Same issue on my end— but only after 2.3 and 2.3.1

Who's the host? What's in your host error log? Do you see essentially the same repeated error with your IP as the client?

What is the state of your ht.access file in the root?
        Question your host about whether your IP is getting temporarily blacklisted / blocked.
          • 534 Posts
          I can reproduce this reliably for the file/mediasources tree, but only on (propably) certain pages, the last I remember is manager/?a=security/profile if you have the files tab activated and reload the page the filetree is never loaded (at least in my envirionment), if you have one of the other 2 tabs active and then go to the files tab, the sources load correctly^^...it doesn't matter if I have compress_js on or off, I also checked the console and network tab of the inspector, but couldn't find anything wrong, the connector sources/getlist returns the sources, but they are not displayed, no console errors though...