We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 330 Posts
    Hi all,

I've been using ModX for about 2 years. Coming from WP I really love it. It is my go to CMS now.

But my sites always break. And I never know why. For example, today I installed 2 sites on the same VPS. On one, tinyMCE works on the other it doesnt. It seems every 2nd or so site I set up breaks in some weird way. Or one site will be fine with pasting YouTube iframes into the content, yet another will not save it I do this.

I am using a LAMP server with the latest version of PHP and I always try and use the latest version of Revo.

I don't have the skill to do command line or server config, so I cant simply see if theres anything wrong with the server.

Ill briefly step through what I do to set up modx, though I dont think it will help:

1. Download latest version of Revo
    2. Create new database via CPanel
    3. FTP Modx files to public_html
    4. Run /setup/
    5. Install TinyMCE, Ace, Wayfiner and GetResources via package management
    6. Start coding HTML and CSS templates

Thats it. But it seems each site behaves slightly differently.

Would anyone know why?
    • If you are uploading your files using FTP as noted earlier, that could be the cause of your problem. Corruption is very common with FTP uploads, not to mention it's highly insecure.

Try using the file manager to upload and extract the zip file, then do your install normally. Let us know if the problem persists. Alternatively, you can try using SFTP instead which is more secure.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 1,572 Posts
        As AMDbuilder said, or even better use Susans installer https://github.com/sottwell/installer