We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 384 Posts
    I've installed a local copy of Revo (2.3) and upon logging in, I get bounced back to the login page with no errors.
    I have access to phpMyAdmin and I found this Help doc which mentions how to setup a user manually via MySQL

http://rtfm.modx.com/evolution/1.0/administration/manager-users/reset-your-password-unblock-your-user

Step one went well. IE running the SQL command to first create a new user
    INSERT INTO manager_users (username,password) VALUES ('yourname','e10adc3949ba59abbe56e057f20f883e');

BTW The database table called 'manager_users' didn't exist in my database. I changed that to modx_users and it worked.

The second part of the URL mentions running the following SQL command
    INSERT INTO user_attributes (InternalKey,role) VALUES ('4','1');

Again, I had to update the table name from 'user_attributes' to 'modx_user_attributes'.
    I then get an error as follows:

#1054 - Unknown column 'role' in 'field list'

I *think* whats going on here is that there is no column called role but not sure if this is an outdated docs issue, an install issue or wether 2.3 has changed the role field for something else.

Any suggestions?
    • You're mixing up MODX versions ... the documentation you linked to is for MODX Evolution and not Revolution. There are distinct database table differences between Evo and Revo, especially around the user tables.

On the actual issue, normally getting bounced back to the manager login page without any errors is a stray, unwanted cookie in your browser. Clear all cookies for the domain in your browser and try logging in again with the credentials you specified during the setup.
        Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
        • 384 Posts
        Thanks Garry. I came to the URL from a web search and didn't notice the Evo Vs Revo docs.
        Same issue. I've reinstalled, cleared the cache and tried a different browser.
          • 384 Posts
          Update: Finally got this to wotk by using a different browser. Despite clearing the cache in Chrome and Firefox, the problem remained until I tried to login using a browser I hadn't previously used.