We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    Did you turn off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings?

Try this in a simple snippet and see what you get:

return 'Reported HTTP_HOST: ' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 433 Posts
      compress_js was turned off, compress_css was turned on. I tried turning it off, and saving a user. Still the same error.

I also tried your snippet (changed it in $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] - with an underscore) and it gives:

www.mywebsite.nl

That should be the correct value, right?
      • You need to manually delete the core cache folder after changing the compress_css/js settings for them to take full effect. Do let us know what the host responds. The two most common causes for 500 errors are invalid permissions (generally 644/755 files/folders) or invalid .htaccess code.

If it's not one of the two your host should be able to identify the problem in the httpd logs. I would consider changing hosts if they are unable to do so. [ed. note: AMDbuilder last edited this post 9 years, 9 months ago.]
          Patrick | Server Wrangler
          About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
          • 433 Posts
          Oh, didn't know that, thanks! Do you mean the core/cache folder? I shouldn't delete the core folder itself I think?

About the permissions, we checked them for connectors/security/user.php and they were set to 755 for folders and 644 for the file, but could a wrong permission on any other folder/file influence this as well?

We also disabled the .htaccess files in the root and in the /manager folder and still couldn't save the user, so I would think the htaccess file is not the problem.

Also the site has worked for about half a year without any problems, and nothing has changed in the files in the meantime.

Still waiting for the response of the hosting company. I'll keep you updated.
          • It's 5am and I should be asleep right now. Correct, the cache folder located within the core - NOT the actual core folder. I've updated my post accordingly.

Correct, the permissions of another seemingly unrelated file can cause the problem, so check them all. I also wouldn't say nothing has changed, hopefully your hosting company has been doing their updates which can change things. I've had major server components introduce breaking changes in "minor" updates, so anything can happen.
              Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
              • 433 Posts
              oh, you should go to bed! I'm going to test again with disabling compress_css and deleting the cache folder. And I'll check all folder and file permissions.

You are right, something MUST have changed for this to suddenly not work anymore. I really hope the hosting company can shed some light on this.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Yes, that should be correct, but it makes the error that much more mysterious. wink

Did you uncomment the code in .htaccess that forces www URLs? If not, try that (or the reverse). The error could conceivably be from the user not being on the same domain he or she came in on.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting