We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hi modx Community!

First of all I have 0 experience with MODx so it's interesting to learn this new system smiley

the issue
    A modx website I have been asked to look into is giving php warnings and the site manager dashboard seems to be broken because of it.
    The errors are array to string conversion errors.

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /[i](website domain name)[/i]/public_html/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php:478) in /[i](website domain name)[/i]/public_html/core/model/modx/modx.class.php on line 1975

What I checked first is the modx version, as mentioned in the post title it's 2.1.5 (released in 2011 from what I can find)
    This is most likely the problem.

My question
    Will I encounter problems with immediately upgrading to the newest version?
    (for example because of database, file structure, etc changes)
    skipping 3 years of updates.

Maybe it would just be easier to completely reinstall the website and refill the content
    (the content and css/layout of the website isn't very complex, just some static text)

Thanks for your advice!
      • 24,544 Posts
      In theory, you should be able to do the upgrade. When you jump a series of versions, all the intermediate upgrades are applied in order. I'd try that first (after backing up the site).

It's important to upgrade because there have been a number of critical security fixes between those versions.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting