We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    I recently decided to play around with MODX, installing the traditional package. Loved everything about it, so I wiped the traditional package off and reinstalled using the advanced package so I could have a clean separation of the core dir.

However, something didn't go right and I can't figure out what.

I'm running on with a LAMP stack on Ubuntu 14.04 with Apache 2.4.7, PHP 5.5.9, mySQL 5.5.37
    From the advanced install pack zip of MODX Revo 2.2.14, I did the following:

- copied contents of "core" dir into /var/www/modx-core/
    - copied contents of "setup" dir into /var/www/modx/
    - updated ownership/groups for both dir (www-data)
    - using Chrome 35, visited my domain (currently has a subdomain tied to it) and MODX install screen was pulled up and I went through the following screens:
    - 1 - Core Location -> input core path shown above
    - 2 - Language -> used EN default
    - 3 - Configuration key -> changed configuration key to a more unique name
    - 4 - Install options -> used defaults [New install, 0755/0644 permissions, 2 unchecked boxes]
    - 5 - Connection information -> input my mysql connection info, named db modx_1, connection test successful, character set & collation selected to be utf8, database created, admin setup
    - 6 - Context installation -> changed default paths to be /var/www/modx/[ |manager|connectors], left urls as default
    - 7 - Installation summary -> All green!
    - 8 - Installation summary -> All green, no warnings.

At this point when I click "Next" on that last page, the screen goes blank with only the title in the <head> having something there (<body> is empty).

If I go to http://domain/manager, I get some HTML elements for the login, but all the CSS, JS & images are missing and with a bunch of 404 errors being thrown. Most all of them seem to be tied to the fact that they URL they are trying to pull resources from starts with http://domain/manager/manager/... For some reason, manager is in there twice. I went into the core and changed the URL, removing the default "manager/" and replacing it with simply "/", but then the resources didn't look under manager at all.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

• Make sure to check all the config files. There are 4 that need to be updated, especially for an advanced install with the core and manager moved. These 4 file locations are listed about half way down this page at rtfm: http://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/moving-your-site-to-a-new-server

You'll need to tell MODX exactly where to find both the core and the manager files within these config files.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 3 Posts
        SOLVED - I was installing into the same directory the setup files were in. Reinstalled with setup back in its own dir and all was good. I realized it when I woke up this morning. Guess I couldn't think straight after a long day!