We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    From what I understand, setting up the caching rules so that .jpg's, .js etc. only have to be downloaded once by a visitor is usually done with htaccess or php headers. I didn't find a way to modify the php headers that modx outputs so I tried using htaccess. What I did was include the following rules:

# 480 weeks
    <FilesMatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=290304000, public"
    </FilesMatch>

# 2 DAYS
    <FilesMatch ".(xml|txt)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=172800, public, must-revalidate"
    </FilesMatch>

# 2 HOURS
    <FilesMatch ".(html|htm)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=7200, must-revalidate"
    </FilesMatch>

However, it didn't really work as planned (the browser kept reloading the assets, not caching them). How do you guys control client-side caching with modx? What is the best way?
      • 265 Posts
      I'm currently working with this, wich seems to do okay.

<FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)(\.gz)?$">
      Header set Expires "Thu, 15 Apr 2015 20:00:00 GMT"
      Header unset ETag
      FileETag None
      </FilesMatch>
      • Quote from: c.reiss at Aug 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
        From what I understand, setting up the caching rules so that .jpg's, .js etc. only have to be downloaded once by a visitor is usually done with htaccess or php headers. I didn't find a way to modify the php headers that modx outputs so I tried using htaccess. What I did was include the following rules:

# 480 weeks
        <filesmatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$"="">
        </filesmatch>

# 2 DAYS
        <filesmatch ".(xml|txt)$"="">
        </filesmatch>

# 2 HOURS
        <filesmatch ".(html|htm)$"="">
        </filesmatch>

However, it didn't really work as planned (the browser kept reloading the assets, not caching them). How do you guys control client-side caching with modx? What is the best way?

Are you talking about wanting to cache the PHP requests returning these content types, or just serving those file types directly from the web server with those caching headers? If the former, take a look at the microcache add-on.
          • 19 Posts
          Quote from: opengeek at Aug 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
          Quote from: c.reiss at Aug 27, 2013, 10:16 AM

# 480 weeks
          <filesmatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$"="">
          </filesmatch>

# 2 DAYS
          <filesmatch ".(xml|txt)$"="">
          </filesmatch>

# 2 HOURS
          <filesmatch ".(html|htm)$"="">
          </filesmatch>

Are you talking about wanting to cache the PHP requests returning these content types, or just serving those file types directly from the web server with those caching headers? If the former, take a look at the microcache add-on.

I'm talking about wanting to serve files directly from the webserver (they are not in the modx database, but are static files) with the proper caching headers. My internal modx caching is already pretty optimized. So I'm specifically talking about how I can get the visitors of my site to cache as much files as possible, so they don't download them over and over again.
            • 436 Posts
            You can simply use a version suffix for js, css files etc.
              • 19 Posts
              Quote from: absent42 at Aug 27, 2013, 12:49 PM

But a version suffix would imply that there is already some client side caching going on. I'm asking how to get the client side caching going in the first place (and then I might use versioning to make sure users are downloading the latest versions).

Is the recommended way just using htaccess like I explained in the first post (or similar to what thapriest86 is doing)? Or do I need to set/tweak some other things? It would help a lot if you could give me examples of what you're doing to promote client side caching on your modx website (because I couldn't find anything about this in the docs).. [ed. note: c.reiss last edited this post 10 years, 7 months ago.]
                • 19 Posts
                Quote from: c.reiss at Aug 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
                Quote from: absent42 at Aug 27, 2013, 12:49 PM

But a version suffix would imply that there is already some client side caching going on. I'm asking how to get the client side caching going in the first place (and then I might use versioning to make sure users are downloading the latest versions).

Is the recommended way just using htaccess like I explained in the first post (or similar to what thapriest86 is doing)? Or do I need to set/tweak some other things? It would help a lot if you could give me examples of what you're doing to promote client side caching on your modx website (because I couldn't find anything about this in the docs)..

Anyone?

It would help a lot if you could give me examples of what you're doing to promote client side caching on your modx website (because I couldn't find anything about this in the docs)..
                  • 436 Posts
                  This presentation gives a decent 101 on MODX caching and file expirations.

http://vimeo.com/56727530
                    • 19 Posts
                    Quote from: absent42 at Aug 30, 2013, 11:35 AM
                    This presentation gives a decent 101 on MODX caching and file expirations.

http://vimeo.com/56727530

Thanks for your answer! I don't know why, but the video won't load for me, even through a proxy (it keeps buffering). Do you know roughly what is being said about (client-side) caching? Or is it too detailed too summarize?
                    • Some slide screenshots
                        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org