We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,078 Posts
    I have a site overhaul project on deck, and the current site is hosted on CentOS 5.6. Will MODx work on this server? Has anyone hosted MODx on this with successful results?

Additionally, the current server setup meets all of the minimum requirements and even some of the recommended, with the exception of 5 items:

FastCGI
    JSON
    zlib-1.2.3-3 is installed (but not sure if php-zlib extension required?)
    curl-7.15.5-9 is installed (but not sure if php-curl extension required?)
    php-xml-5.2.8-1 is installed (but not sure if this is simpleXML?)

The last 3 are installed, but the support technician wondered if the extention was required.

Is FastCGI & JSON required, or only needed for specific functions or add-ons that I may or may not even use?

I'm very lost when it comes to server technology, so knowledgeable feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
      • 128 Posts
      FastCGI / PHP-FPM and all those make PHP Applications most times more handy is my opinon. PHP runs faster, the process is owned by the same user as the ftp / ssh access. So there are mostly never any access errors, but its not really needed if you create all access rights correct. My local Test Server runs on mod_php and all is fine.

I`m pretty shure JSON is required, but in an default php-config its already in, modx uses JSON a lot in the User Profiles and in the whole manager.

• 1,078 Posts
        Quote from: m.engel at Jun 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
        FastCGI / PHP-FPM and all those make PHP Applications most times more handy is my opinon. PHP runs faster, the process is owned by the same user as the ftp / ssh access. So there are mostly never any access errors, but its not really needed if you create all access rights correct. My local Test Server runs on mod_php and all is fine.

I`m pretty shure JSON is required, but in an default php-config its already in, modx uses JSON a lot in the User Profiles and in the whole manager.

Hi Micheal: Sorry I missed your response. Got distracted by other projects, but now I am back to getting ready to do an install on this server within the next week. Server management is not my area of expertise unfortunately. The host has offered to install JSON.

Is there a way for me to run a script to see what's installed on the server. Do I use a php.ini file for that.?

Below is the entire response from the support team when I initially inquired about the server. I'm hoping to have a successful install of MODx right from the get go, so just trying to cover all the bases.

The server meets most of the requirements:
        Linux x86, x86-64
        Apache 2.2.x
        MySQL 5.1.57
        Default table encoding of UTF-8
        PHP 5.2.8-1
        php-gd-5.2.8-1
        php-pdo-5.2.8-1
        ImageMagick-6.6.1-9
        In /etc/php.ini:
        safe_mode off
        register_globals off
        magic_quotes_gpc off
        PHP memory_limit 24MB or more

The only things I don't see installed are as follows:
        FastCGI required?
        JSON required?
        zlib-1.2.3-3 is installed (but not sure if php-zlib extension required?)
        curl-7.15.5-9 is installed (but not sure if php-curl extension required?)
        php-xml-5.2.8-1 is installed (but not sure if this is simpleXML?)
          • 1,078 Posts
          Quote from: m.engel at Jun 18, 2013, 08:27 AM

When you say in a "default php-config", its already in... what does that mean? Is the JSON part of the default php installed on the server. Or is it installed with the MODx install. When the host support tells me JSON is not installed, it makes me think that I need to go out a buy or download JSON and install it on the server, or have them do it for me. [ed. note: mmcgee last edited this post 10 years, 8 months ago.]
            • 194 Posts
            The PHP extension CURL is needed by MODX for retrieving packages by the packagemanager. Is it a requirement? No, but you will miss it when not available smiley
              Codeplaza Webdesign: for professional websites at low cost
              • 1,078 Posts
              Thanks Don:

I think of an extension as something I — or whoever is managing the server — needs to go locate, download and install. As opposed to it being a feature that comes with the PHP install that merely needs to be enabled. Am I correct in my assessment?
                • 194 Posts
                That sounds logically.

Also: when manually download and install a package in the packagemanager you will loose also the update check functionality. I had a customer with CURL not installed and many times I had to correct the packages when a update was available. For that reason and some little other issues I advised this customer to choose for another hosting provider.

I believe that also some other extra's from the repository of MODX depend on CURL.
                  Codeplaza Webdesign: for professional websites at low cost
                  • 1,078 Posts
                  I would, and may choose another hosting company, but I told the client I would give their server a try. We'll see how it goes with the customer support. So far they have been very very attentive, so maybe I can rely on them to manage and install the items I need.

I've only had one experience with a VPS, and stupidly after about 2 full 24-hours days of frustration, it was brought to my attention by the support tech that the server was a VPS and was blank. Yikes!

So far, it appears as though this server is only missing 4 needed items. If I can get those resolved, I can do an initial install of MODx with fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback. Helpful to know what some of these things are and what they do and/or where I will notice when they are missing.

• Depending on the server, it's really easy to add what you need using "yum". I've updated php, added ImageMagic, cURL, PDO drivers, and a number of other extensions using it on a Rackspace dedicated server.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                    • What can you tell us about the server specifications, and the amount of traffic expected for the website? You could configure the the server to meet all of the minimal requirements, only to find out it fails to function properly due to an inadequate configuration (or another cause).

It sounds like we are dealing with an older dedicated server, or perhaps VPS server that you have root access to adjust the configuration. Generally this points to having plenty of resources, granted you should also ask how the server is being used (mail, dns, multiple websites, other services?). Susan is correct, in that you can use yum to install missing elements, however you need to understand if adding ImageMagick will interfere with another service. You might have a different image processing subsystem that can't coexist.

That being said, you also want to look closer at the key components to ensure they are current. If the server has php 5.2.x installed you can technically run MODX, however it might not operate properly as some extras use functions found in PHP 5.3.x or 5.4.x. Not to mention the security risks associated with running EOL (end of life) software versions.

It's great their support is helping you, but one thing you should keep in mind - most support is reactive. They will only take action(s) when they are informed of a problem. If you need help changing the configuration for example, or if they get reports your server is compromised/sending spam. They are also going to use more general configurations, if you need server specific help regarding MODX, you will want to work with a strong MODX hosting provider. This is where dealing with proactive/fully managed hosting can be nice as they will work with you to better avoid problems.

Oh, getting back to the original question, you can get away without those missing components, but I would strongly recommend installing them for the best experience with the system. The package manager is far too nice to not use because you are missing cURL/zlib wink

I hope that helps some.
                        Patrick | Server Wrangler
                        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting