We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 35 Posts
    Hi all, I installed an add-on that added a number of resources and elements which I then edited, and then phased out using anything else from the addon. Knowing I had a good backup, I uninstalled the addon in Package Manament and as I feared, it removed my edited resources and elements, wiping out most of my work. I then restored all my lost work from backup.

So... is there a clean way to remove this addon in Package Management without it also taking out the resources and elements it installed, and which I then edited and made my own?

Or, is there a way to create a brand new, clean instance of MODX 2.2.7-pl, install the addons that I actually use, and then import the resources and elements from my MySQL backup? I would really even prefer this route, since I have this other manager-refreshing problem that I can't seem to get rid of.

Many thanks for any thoughts or pointers!

John
      • 1,145 Posts
      donshakespeare Reply #2, 11 years ago
      I think if you remove an add-on...the thing carries off all its bag and baggage.
      The best practice is to, in future, duplicate these files and then edit those.

For now though, I would go with your last idea; maybe because I love wiping things off and re-installling.
      Fresh install + load original backup database....copy add-ons via FTP (or better, through zip in server)...

Duplicate or Rename the resources so that they become yours, then uninstall add-ons that are not needed.

See what happens... [ed. note: donshakespeare last edited this post 11 years ago.]
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 35 Posts
        Thank you very much for your reply!

When I first loaded this addon, I was brand new to MODX and didn't realize that removing the addon meant removing the resources it installed. I am now suitably aware that this can happen! But there is some problem with my database, in that my manager page reloads to the dashboard every time I edit any resource, so I think I want to abandon this database altogether and find an approach better than copy/paste in the web UI to move over just my elements and resources into a completely fresh install.

In any case, it's great of you to offer your help.

Kind regards, watou
          • 1,145 Posts
          donshakespeare Reply #4, 11 years ago
          Quote from: watou2 at Apr 22, 2013, 08:50 PM

But there is some problem with my database, in that my manager page reloads to the dashboard every time I edit any resource,

Perhaps something else is responsible for the problem you are having, but do check this little point first before doing something major.

Open/Edit a Resource ... you'll see these buttons to the right.
          SAVE ---DUPLICATE --- DELETE --- VIEW --- CLOSE --- HELP

And to the right of the these there are other three smaller buttons.
          *mouse-over them (+ experiment with them) and understand what they mean.
          *Make sure the middle one is clicked ("Continue Editing").
          *Then save Resource.

I remember going through the wall once or thrice before learning this the hard way...

Cheers
            Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
            5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
            • 35 Posts
            Wow, you are magic, donshakespeare! Holy cannoli, how did I miss that? I think I've got it all under my belt, and then the obvious waltzes right past me.

I would like to send a crate of karma to you by express courier. Thank you very, very much.
              • 1,145 Posts
              donshakespeare Reply #6, 11 years ago
              Many much thanks!
              Express courier is good. I can do with some sweet crate of goodness just now.
              I'm glad you can move on; there is nothing like moving on.

Cheers.
                • 35 Posts
                On its way via jet airdrop courier service! Really, your helpfulness makes a huge difference to mooks like me. You are a tremendous asset to this community. Regards, watou