We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    We're trying to set up a system whereby we have a ready-made starter site, set up with customized control panel features, TVs, permissions, etc. and use it as a way to get a head start on building new MODx-based websites.

I've tried uploading the files to a new account and then installing the starter site's database (revised to reflect the new account and server). Then, I clear the core > cache and make sure it is writable.

Doing this still results in various problems, especially having to do with cache issues. Even with the cache cleared and made writable (sometimes I even delete the core > cache directory entirely and create a new one (making it writable) just to make sure it's completely empty.

I just tried doing one of these site clones onto a subdomain (called "site2) from a working site and keep getting the following errors:

Warning: rename(/home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/cache/mgr/smarty/default/6e8607c0b6515998e8bb35301b0288bd51793a52.file.login.tpl.php) [function.rename]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/model/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 42

Warning: rename(/tmp/wrtmm34iv,/home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/cache/mgr/smarty/default/6e8607c0b6515998e8bb35301b0288bd51793a52.file.login.tpl.php) [function.rename]: Permission denied in /home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/model/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 42

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/model/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 44

Warning: include(/home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/cache/mgr/smarty/default/6e8607c0b6515998e8bb35301b0288bd51793a52.file.login.tpl.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/model/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 422

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/cache/mgr/smarty/default/6e8607c0b6515998e8bb35301b0288bd51793a52.file.login.tpl.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/sample/domains/sample.com/public_html/site2/core/model/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 422

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's attempted to do something similar. What do you folks do to get a working site up and functioning quickly with ready-configured backend features?

Thank you in advance.
    • Did you make a transport package or are you actually uploading files?

I've done this with Packman it allows you to create a transport package with TV, chunks, extras and templates and install everything with a single click.
        Benjamin Marte
        Interactive Media Developer
        Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
        • 338 Posts
        Get a cloud account, set up a site, save a snapshot, the inject the snapshot into the new site.
          • 24,544 Posts
          PackMan will do much of that, but AFAIK, it doesn't handle Resources, Menus, Users, Contexts, or Permissions.

You can do a little more of what you want by creating a package with MyComponent, but at present, it doesn't handle Users or Permissions, though it will do Resources, Resource TV Values, all Elements (including Property Sets), and Menus. In theory, you could transfer the DB tables for users and permissions, though in the case of permissions, it might be a challenge to figure out which tables were necessary.

If you use the latest version of MyComponent, you can create most of it in MODX, use a minimal config file, and run Bootstrap, Export, and Build to get your package. I just finished a contract job to create a config file for just that purpose.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 342 Posts
            Quote from: benmarte at Mar 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
            Did you make a transport package or are you actually uploading files?

I've done this with Packman it allows you to create a transport package with TV, chunks, extras and templates and install everything with a single click.

No, just uploading them. I have the feeling that is not the right thing to do?
            • We do as you did, export a database from what we refer to as our base install and import it into the new site's database. In addition, we upload a copy of MODX from our base install to the new site's server, changing the config files of course. Finally, we reinstall the same version of MODX as an update. Never had any issues.

Considering using the package method and importing Permissions policies and Forms customization rules independently but haven't gotten around to that approach yet.
              • You can use Vapor; I've done so quite successfully. Install and run Vapor on your original and get the package from core/packages. Install a new MODx, put the package in its core/packages, and install it as usual. That's all.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 143 Posts
                  develop your starter site on modx cloud (you can use the free lab account) then copy the site to your own server using vapor.
                    Eighth day design
                    Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
                  • Quote from: eighthday at Mar 26, 2013, 09:51 AM
                    develop your starter site on modx cloud (you can use the free lab account) then copy the site to your own server using vapor.

How do you do that? I've done vapour (ftp) -> cloud, but not cloud -> vapour (ftp).
                      GEL STUDIOS
                      MODX Professional | MODX Ambassador

Website | Email | Twitter | Facebook
                      • 143 Posts
                      just run vapor on your modx cloud account and then you can install the vapor transport package in a fresh modx install using the package manager.
                        Eighth day design
                        Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton