We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,572 Posts
    Hi All,

Have installed this on a clean install of the latest version of MODX and all appears to have worked apart from 2 things:

1: I Can't update my profile. The profile section work's fine but when I click Edit I just get taken to a white Page. I have created the update profile page and updated the settings to reflect this and placed the following code in it but still can't edit the profile.

[[!UpdateProfile? &postHooks=`postHook.DiscussUpdateProfile`]]
    [[!DiscussUpdateProfileLoader]]

2: Can't post / start topic. Whenever I try i'm just returned to the same page and no question / topic has been created.

Error log contains the following but these were around 30 mins before I tried the posting and edit profile:

[2012-12-30 09:58:05] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/packages.php) Path specified for package discuss is not a valid or accessible directory: /home/campsite/public_html/core/components/discuss/model/
    [2012-12-30 09:58:05] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/packages.php) Could not load class: disUser from mysql.disuser.
    [2012-12-30 09:58:05] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/packages.php) Could not load class: disUser from mysql.disuser.
    [2012-12-30 09:58:05] (ERROR @ /connectors/workspace/packages.php) Could not load class disUser

Any pointers would be great.

PHP Version 5.2.17
    MySQL Support 5.1.65
    • Did you enable discuss.sso_mode as well? And set discuss.forums_resource_id with the right url to the forums?
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 1,572 Posts
        Hi Mark,

SSO mode is set to yes and the discuss.forums_resource_id is set to 2 which is the id for Forums in the tree.

Thanks
        • What link do you see in the browser bar when you get the white page?
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 1,572 Posts
            For the edit user its update-profile.html?discuss=1 but I'm more concerned with the fact I can't post anything at all for some strange reason as it just reloads the page.

Thanks Mark
            • Could you PM me login details for this install so I can have a poke around? Not sure where to look as I haven't experienced this in any of my testing before.

• 1,572 Posts
                Yeh will PM them to you now Mark

Thanks
                • Thanks.

Issue 2 seems to be due to FormIt not being installed. I managed to create a post after installing that.

Issue 1 is a bit different. Basically we've been recommending using the so-called SSO mode and creating the individual resources, linking them with the settings, etc. While that works, it does mean you need to set up the full registration/login/update profile pages.......... but if you don't set the system settings to point to resources, it uses Discuss controllers, wrapped in the wrapper tpl, keeping it all in the same style.

Thinking about that does make the extra steps needed to set up the additional resources, well, redundant. Frankly I've been so focused on the MODX forums (which re-use the main MODX.com authentication and updating etc) that it never really stood out to me that it's essentially double work and cluttering the site tree, too. tongue

Maybe this needs some more thought and community suggestions (what do you think Paul?), and then we can update the documentation to recommend the best method - either keeping it all in Discuss, or using separate resources for login, register and update profile actions.

• 1,572 Posts
                    Thanks Mark thats great,

For the login if Discuss can handle that using it's own controllers that are wrapped in the wrapper tpl then I would recommend we update the docs to use that as the standard, if people want to advance on that then they can use the login register etc.

Thanks again Mark
                      • 255 Posts
                      FWIW, my preference would be that discuss behave similarly to other addons and respect the existing theming and templates of the site, with user control widgets and snazzy features as chunks or snippets that can be placed selectively within the design. I know this is more work "fo sho", but necessary to make it top notch addon like articles. It's probably a major diversion from whats on MODX.com, but ultimately it will be smaller and less redundant if the templates and styling bits are not fully integrated and dependent on the parent site to provide like most addons do.