We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 149 Posts
    Hello MODx fans! I have something for all us wich speeds up manager page navigation in 2-5 times!
    I am talking about my new plugin for MODx Revolution - AjaxManager! It forces MODx to use Ajax for page loading. It looks nice, you feel speed and comfort.

For now, it is quite complex to setup AjaxManager, because I need some changes in MODx itself. I hope my changes will be applied to MODx 2.3.0

But if you do not want to wait, you have to make the following steps:

1. Download patched version of modx-2.2.6 (see the list of changes here)
    2. If you have already 2.2.6 version of modx, then just upload /manager/ folder from zip to your server. If your version is out of date, then you have to go through regular upgrade process (see rtfm.modx.com instructions)
    3. Install AjaxManager via Package Browser. Note: you will not see future releases of the package in your Package Manager (there is no Update button, I don't know why), so, check it manually here
    4. Clear modx cache and reload page fully (ctrl+F5). Try navigating - new pages should be loaded via Ajax.

Now you have to update your extras. Here is the zip archive with updates for Ace, Gallery, TinyMCE, Quip
    After updating, go to System Settings, switch namespace to ajaxmanager, set ajaxmanager.compatible_namespaces to core,gallery,quip (or your own list of compatible components)

I hope next versions of some extras will be already compatible with AJAX.

You can donate if you like this Plugin:
    [ed. note: danya_postfactum last edited this post 11 years, 4 months ago.]
      • 149 Posts
      Plugin is updated. All patches now is inside one zip archive. Note - first you need to update Ace package to 1.3.1 (this version is available, but there is no Update button)
      • Hi,
        I tested your patches, but I get empty screen in admin panel, this error is from apache logs:

[Fri Dec 07 18:33:46 2012] [error] [client xxxx] File does not exist: /home/mysite/public_html/modx2/manager/undefined, referer: http://www.mysite.com/modx2/manager/?a=69

Do you think having modx in a subfolder could be a problem?

Thanks
          TilliLab | MODX Ambassador
          website
          • 149 Posts
          Quote from: tillilab at Dec 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
          Hi,
          Do you think having modx in a subfolder could be a problem?

Yes, I think. I'll check it later. By the way, are you using Firefox? My plugin has some problems with Firefox.
          • With Explorer 9.0 it works!

I tried with Chrome and Firefox, and with both of them: the resource editing works, every other section of the manager gives the white frame on the right (it keeps only the resource tree).

Next days I'll check a little deeper the performance with your plugin, thanks!

BTW I'm using MODx 2.2.6, not 2.2.5, do you think is it fine anyway for your patches?

website
              • 149 Posts
              Have you uploaded modx patch into managerfolder ? I'm using Chrome, it works nice.
              Please, open browser Console (Chrome - F12) and paste errors here.

I am not sure about MODx 2.2.6, I have to test it.

I'll update the plugin today (8th December) (Firefox fixes and possible your issues)
              • of course...I didn't... sorry! smiley

It works also with Chrome, but I still have some problem now and then, most of all with Tinymce: it doesn't appear...
                now I'm getting this error from Chrome console:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'stopEditing' of undefined ext-all.js:11

Anyway I think I will reinstall everything for a clearer debug.
                  website
                  • 149 Posts
                  Quote from: tillilab at Dec 07, 2012, 10:15 PM

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'stopEditing' of undefined ext-all.js:11

I know about this bug, this is minor one.

Quote from: tillilab at Dec 07, 2012, 10:15 PM

I still have some problem now and then, most of all with Tinymce: it doesn't appear...

This is known issue. You have to reload (F5) resource editing page to get the editor. You can also try using fresh CKEditor - works with AjaxManager out of box (still beta).
                  • thanks, you are right:
                    with F5 tinymce appears, and CKEditor is nice!
                      website
                      • 98 Posts
                      I really like this idea. Especially since MODx Manager can feel a bit sluggish at times, and reload the whole page a bit too often smiley

Download my patches of MODX and extras: Ace, Gallery, TinyMCE, Quip (Tell me what you need else)

Does this mean that you need to modify all/most extras (that are used in the Manager UI) to be able to work with AjaxManager?

What is the word from the MODx team on this? Something to integrate into MODx 2.3.0?