We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 384 Posts
    Guys, just wanted to say that I am completely blown away by MODX Cloud.

After having a test / beta account for a few weeks I was tentatively logging in, creating a few clouds and 'kicking the tyres' so to speak. I probably would have left it at that for another few months at least.

But this morning my biggest client called me about a big website overhaul they have in the pipeline and the number 1 stipulation was that ...

I need to give the Board of Directors, Management team and Staff' a preview URL before we go live. I don't care how it's done, where it sits or how we access it but we need to see an exact copy of the our site with the new changes in place before we go live

So I downloaded the Vapor tool, ran it on the live site and injected it into my MODX cloud account within about 30 mins.

My jaw literally dropped when I logged into this MODX Cloud snapshot and saw an exact working and functioning version of the site before me. I now have a mirror image version of my clients site which I can roll out changes to and then hand back for review.

Anyway, really really impressed. This solves a huge amount of problems for my web design studio and the client has agreed to provide me with extra monthly budget to signup for their own account.

Thanks for making my life (and work) more enjoyable!
    • Thanks so much for posting this. As Mark let you know. I posted an excerpt on the MODX Blog because it shows off how MODX Cloud helps save time, hassles and get things done incredibly fast without us just tooting our own horn.

I'd love to hear other such experiences from folks using MODX Cloud that we could share to spread the word.

http://modx.com/blog/2012/10/19/holy-modx-cloud-batman/
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • I have to say using MODx Cloud sometimes feels like I've suddenly gained magic powers. I find myself taking a step back and thinking: "wow, look what i just did!". It's a rare thing to get that feeling from any software.

We are in the habit providing a staging URL to our clients to access for a good while now, and once I first heard about MODx Cloud I was immediately struck by the realization that it could save us hours and hours of tedious, boring, error-prone work right off the bat just by automating the staging process alone.

And since I've been using MODx Cloud I found lots of other invaluable advantages:

The power of creating fully working identical copies of any live website instantly
        If you have a live site that you need to add features to, however big or small, there's nothing like clicking a couple buttons and having an exact copy of that precious live site made in 2 minutes!

Working on a live site to develop features is suicidal in my book, so we had to create copies before too, it just would take hours instead of a couple minutes. This is again saving us a heap of time and energy.

Having a backup system in place takes a load off
        I don't know about others but putting in a proper, iron-clad backup system is something I always placed very high on our priority list, but very far away into our future schedule. Maybe it's just procrastination or the hope that "it won't happen to us" but each time i see or heard about another disaster story i got chills down my spine.

MODx hosting that just "works"
        At my previous host we paid $250/month for a managed VPS and i still had to spend many many hours dealing with configuration issues, firewall settings, performance optimization and other fun activities that my clients were NOT paying me to do.
        With MODx Cloud we are experiencing the absolute fastest MODx experience we ever had, and i completely forgot what compiling apache means (thank god for that).

To me it has become unthinkable to use MODx and not host it on MODx cloud.

[ed. note: Orthias last edited this post 11 years, 6 months ago.]