We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 17 Posts
    Does anyone know how to customize a specific user's setting, so he/she always defaults to rich text editor regardless of how the document was last edited?

I've made my attempt to set
    [richtext_default = Yes]
    [use_editor = Yes]

but that didn't get me the result I'm looking for.

Version: Revolution 2.2.4-pl
    • I just recently did this last night and I'm planning on writing a quick tip for CMSTricks in a few days.

Just go to: Security > Manage Users

Right click on the user and select: Update User

Go to the Settings tab and make new settings for the user, how do you know which settings to create?

Easy go to the System > System Settings and filter by Rich Text Editor this will bring up all the settings for RTE, right click update settings and copy all of these to the new settings you are making for the user.

Now this users settings will override the system settings.

Here are 2 screenshots one of the default system settings I'm using and another for my user system setting. Notice how I'm using Ace as my editor instead of TinyMCE.

I hope that helps.
        Benjamin Marte
        Interactive Media Developer
        Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
        • 17 Posts
        Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue.
        It doesn't keep the user in richtext editor for existing document that has "rich text" unchecked.

It's a mistake on my part.
        What I'm looking for, is a way to override the document settings.
        So for selected users, they will always edit in richtext editor, ignoring whether the document setting is checked for richtext editing.

• 24,544 Posts
          If you set the richtext_default System Setting to 'Yes' and the which_editor System Setting to TinyMCE, the users should see everything in richtext (after you set all the current docs richtext field and save them).

Then create a which_editor User Setting for yourself (and any other editors who don't want richtext) and set it to 'none'.

In theory, that should do what you want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting