We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • The installer should actually create the file but some environments do not allow this to occur. There is a note about this here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Basic+Installation#BasicInstallation-PreInstallationChecks

If you still can't get it to work, reupload the files including the setup directory and rerun setup.
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 115 Posts
      Trying to install the latest version of Revo and I keep getting this error message

'503 Error Could not load MODX config file.'

This is Wamp localhost:

Server Configuration
      Apache Version : 2.2.22
      PHP Version : 5.4.3

I've changed .htaccess & I've tried re-unzipping & reloading to no avail.
      I don't really understand what some of the other posters are actually telling me to do, can someone explain is more simpler terms?
        • 10 Posts
        Just encountered the same problem. Adding the core/config/config.inc.php file and running the setup as oliverschwartz suggested worked just fine. smiley
          • 1 Posts
          Quote from: kseniya at May 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
          To install latest version Revo try to use full installation way like this yoursitename/setup/index.php
          For me it worked.
          It worked for me as well
            • 1 Posts
            Quote from: oliverschwarz at Jun 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
            I have just downloaded and installed modx-2.2.4-pl on a linux system (Apache2/PHP 5.3.10 + Suhosin) and I get the same error after setting up a local host and calling the site. I, too, get the error "Could not load MODX config file". I traced the error to core/model/modx/modx.class.php [l. 492].

MODX expects an empty, writable config file at /core/config/config.inc.php. This is described in the installation manual - but one can easily miss that. Just create the empty, writable file there and it should be working.

The easiest alternative is to call the setup directly by opening: http://mymodxsite.loc/setup/ in the browser.

Thanks brother, the above solution worked.