We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 833 Posts
    Hi guys, I read a lot of posts dealing with the topic, but most are very old and though they provided a guideline, I feel like I still need some help.

Essentially I want to randomly retrieve 1 row of data from a database hosted on the same server as MODX and display the data in the front end. I've written a small snippet to do that. I hope my baby steps won't bother you much. Here's where I'm standing, what am I doing wrong?

<?php
    $dsn = 'mysql:host=HOSTIP;dbname=my_db;port=3306;charset=utf-8';
    $xpdo = new xPDO($dsn,'my_db_usr','my_db_pwd');

//RANDOMLY SELECT 1 ROW OF DATA FROM THE versets TABLE
    $query = $xpdo->query("SELECT * FROM `versets` ORDER BY `RAND()`");
    $query->limit(1);

while ($row = $query->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC))
      {
    	// ONLY OUTPUT SPECIFIC COLUMNS
    	echo $row['id'] . " " . $row['ch'] . ":" . $row['vst'] . " " . $row['darby'];
    	echo "
    ";
      }

?>
    [ed. note: treigh last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
      A MODx Fanatic
      • 88 Posts
      You are mixing xPDO and PDO,

The $xpdo->query() method is just PDO like you have used it, but then you try to mix xPDO limit() to it. So just add the limit to your SQL string instead of calling the method. Basicly you are using "fallback" option of using regular PDO and none of the xPDO options really.
        Almost retired from web-development industry but still randomly writing at Lazylegs.info and on schedule hopefully in near future to finish Oracle and PostgreSQL ports of MODX
        • 833 Posts
        Thx for clarifying for me.Let me spend some more time on this
          A MODx Fanatic
        • <?php
          $query = $xpdo->query("SELECT * FROM `versets` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1");
          $row = $query->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
          $query->closeCursor();
          // ONLY OUTPUT SPECIFIC COLUMNS
          echo $row['id'] . " " . $row['ch'] . ":" . $row['vst'] . " " . $row['darby'];
          echo "";

• 833 Posts
            @opengeek, Thanks alot! I guess the while statement wasn't necessary.
              A MODx Fanatic