We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 88 Posts
    [SOLUTION / FIXED]

Thank you to all who suggested to head into phpmyadmin and change the compress_js & compress_css values to 0 instead of 1.

I can attest that the installer did NOT change that like it said it would for me when installing a new copy of MODX Revolution 2.2.0-pl2 (traditional).

i surfed for hours trying to figure this out. as soon as i followed the suggestions here, all worked beautifully (as it should).

in an effort to be helpful for the next person, heres my story...

i did a new install of Rev 2.2.0 on an Apache/Linux shared server. went thru the install (/setup) process.

everything during the install process went great. at the end it told me that it would change the "compress_js" value to 0 in my database.

then when i logged in to the manager, it did 'not' show my resource tree, nor did ANY of the links in the navigation work. i couldn't even logout. and the screen was blank underneath the nav bar.

i never tried the suggestions to hop into phpmyadmin & change those values myself because i trusted the message the installer gave me. but when all else failed, i thought "why not" and i logged in to phpmyadmin, found the modx_system_settings row in my DB. and not being very familiar with phpmyadmin, it took me a long time to find the "compress_js" settings. just didn't realize it was showing me only 30 rows & i needed to hit the next page button (duh).

then i went to delete the /core/cache/ stuff and had a problem there.
    my FTP program (Transmit) couldn't delete many of the items that had been generated there because it was "owned" not by me. the only thing that worked for me was to go into cPanel's Legacy File Manager and delete the entire "cache" folder/directory. i had trouble trying to delete just individual items even with that, so i had to ditch the whole thing. then recreate a "cache" folder and to be sure to change its permissions to 777 (& hit "apply to enclosed" also). note: i changed the permissions back in Transmit.

and then, i emptied my browsers cache, hit reload, and viola!!
    hope that helps,
    -jason.

PS: if any ModX developers see this, please fix not only the compress_js thing but also the permissions on auto generated files/folders. THX!!! [ed. note: syberknight last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
      • 9 Posts
      @syberknight
      Yes, it is confirmed that the minify problem in the installer is still there in the 2.2.0-pl version, the problem has been identified and already fixed, you could expect the fix to be implemented in the upcoming 2.2.1 version.

As for the permission thing I've never found any trouble with file permission. Maybe you could try filezilla?
        • 88 Posts
        @dvio
        THANKS!
        and with regards to the permission thing, i don't think it has anything to do with the FTP program. for some reason, when mode creates the files/folders inside the cache (& maybe elsewhere - i don't know), it created them with funky permissions and a different 'owner' - so the only way i could delete them was to do delete the whole cache folder from the server (cpanel).

@EVERYONE/SOMEONE/ANYONE WHO KNOWS...
        i was just informed from my host that they fixed the whole "suhosin" thing. so does that mean i need to go back in to phpmyadmin and change the "compress_js" & "compress_css" values back to "1"???
          • 51 Posts
          Hi there,

I have the same symptoms (resource tree missing, blank pages from the top menu) but the solution provided is not working. And the cause also seems to be different.

I had to move my modx revo 2.2.0 PL from a sub folder to the root of the website. Everything seemed to be working fine. Then I tried to create a link with TinyMCE, it didn't work because it requested a file from the old subdirectory. I checked the config file (core/config/config.inc.php) and saw that I didn't changed the route to the assets folder. It still pointed to the subdirectory.

if (!defined('MODX_ASSETS_PATH')) {
              $modx_assets_path= 'C:/domains/website.com/wwwroot/en/assets/';
              $modx_assets_url= '/en/assets/';
              define('MODX_ASSETS_PATH', $modx_assets_path);
              define('MODX_ASSETS_URL', $modx_assets_url);
          }

So I changed it to:

if (!defined('MODX_ASSETS_PATH')) {
              $modx_assets_path= 'C:/domains/website.com/wwwroot/assets/';
              $modx_assets_url= '/assets/';
              define('MODX_ASSETS_PATH', $modx_assets_path);
              define('MODX_ASSETS_URL', $modx_assets_url);
          }

I got the problems described above. No resource tree and the links in the topmenu point to blank pages. Also scrollbars appear (horizontal and vertical) in the content area of the blank pages. Anybody any guess what this could be? Before changing the path it worked fine...
            • 57 Posts
            Mim

Check the record in modx_workspace table

Rgds
            Daz
              formerly sumodaz on here!
              • 51 Posts
              Hi Daz,

And what do I have to check? The record states:

1	Default MODX workspace	{core_path}	2012-01-19 09:49:44	1	NULL
              [ed. note: MIM last edited this post 12 years, 3 months ago.]
                • 51 Posts
                Just to update on my last post, somehow the problem fixed itself. I do not know why so that is not really comforting...
                  • 151 Posts
                  I had this same problem show up after being logged in and making changes to a file in the file tree.

I had recently installed Revo 2.2.0. My solution was simply running setup again and the manager came back up perfectly.
                    MODX...the Zen of CMS
                    "Bight off more than you can chew and keep right on chewing."
                    • 17 Posts
                    Hi All,

I've just moved a MODx revo 2.2.0 site and I can't for the life of me get the resource tree to show. I setup the DB and then copied the files over. Cleared core->cache directory and ran installer.

Installer runs fine BUT when I go to manager I get a blank page and this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/louisere/public_html/core/model/modx/modmanagerresponse.class.php on line 41

So I tried re importing DB. This made manager work BUT resource tree is empty.

If I run installer again is breaks manager and brings back that error message. I've tried everything I can think of, have checked site_content for blank aliases, made sure compressed_js and css is turned off, cleared cache in MODx, cleared it via FTP etc.

This site was supposed to go live hours ago and I'm stuck in this cycle where I run installer,break manager, reimport DB and then have a manager without resource tree.

Also on the front end the majority of it works, but I'm getting some random errors like so:

[15-May-2012 16:47:41] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/louisere/public_html/core/cache/includes/elements/modsnippet/63.include.cache.php on line 129

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Tom
                      • 17 Posts
                      P.S - I've tried all things suggested in this forum post and in this one:

http://forums.modx.com/thread/?thread=74672&page=2

and no joy.