We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 13 Posts
    Why does [[!Wayfinder? &startID=`[*parent*]`]] work as expected and travels up to the parent and displays all subnav links

and [[!Wayfinder? &startId=`[*parent*]`]] returns the entire tree?

And while I’m on the subject, how can I keep the entire subnav tree on the page even if I am a couple levels deep to allow navigation backwards. I figured something like ultimate parent as the start ID might work, but I must be missing something.

Thanks,
    Josh
      • 863 Posts
      You’ve mixed syntax between Evo and Revo there smiley

Try one of these:
      [!Wayfinder? &startId=`[*parent*]`!]    <- Evo
      [[!Wayfinder? &startId=`[[*parent]]`]]  <- Revo

To answer your question, the first one works because &startID is an invalid property and ignored by the snippet. When &startId is not specified, Wayfinder will use the current doc as the starting point which is why you see the subnav links.
        • 13 Posts
        That gives me the entire nav, not the subnav starting from the ID of the page that I am currently viewing.

Thanks,
        Josh
          • 13 Posts
            • 863 Posts
            If you want it to start on the current page and output child docs, just do this:
            [[!Wayfinder]]

• 863 Posts
              Quote from: dawisewun at Jun 09, 2011, 06:39 PM

And while I’m on the subject, how can I keep the entire subnav tree on the page even if I am a couple levels deep to allow navigation backwards. I figured something like ultimate parent as the start ID might work, but I must be missing something.
              And to do this:
              [[!Wayfinder? &startId=`[[UltimateParent? &topLevel=`1`]]`]]

You’ll need to change &topLevel=`1` to whatever level the startId should be. If it’s the top level, leave it as `1`.
              And... make sure UltimateParent is installed wink
                • 13 Posts
                This is what I am using currently

[[!Wayfinder? &startID=`[[*parent]]` &ignoreHidden=`true` &outerClass=`sub-nav` ]]

But it only works if I capitalize the d

And I want the entire sub nav to display even if I continue to drill down so that I can get back up the tree, but I don’t want the main parent nav links to display. Only subnav from the second level of the page in the tree that I am viewing.

IE. I want the below to display on every page in the tree regardless of how far I go down.

Faith Statement
                Who We Are
                Keith’s Bio
                Margie’s Bio
                Personal
                Staff
                Ministry Friends

Thanks,
                Josh
                  • 13 Posts
                  Awesome thanks for your time, I could have sworn that I had already installed the ultimateparent plugin.

This works
                  [[!Wayfinder? &startId=`[[UltimateParent? &topLevel=`1`]]`]]

Note to self, when launching 4 sites in one day, make sure that the UltimateParent plugin is actually installed in the site where your wayfinder calls aren’t working.

Thanks,
                  Josh

Ps. Any idea why the weird capitalization of the D in the below was the only way I could get a dynamic nav starting from whatever page I was on to work?
                  [[!Wayfinder? &startID=`[[*parent]]` &ignoreHidden=`true` &outerClass=`sub-nav` ]]

• 863 Posts
                    No problem, someone else had the same problem yesterday and it’s caught me out a few times before. If you do a lot of MODx sites you should look into using PackMan to create a ’default install’ transport package with snippets you use often.

Ps. Any idea why the weird capitalization of the D in the below was the only way I could get a dynamic nav starting from whatever page I was on to work?
                    See post #2 above, I realised I hadn’t answered your question and edited my post... but you had already seen it and moved on wink
                      • 13 Posts
                      K, that makes sense. I’ll be sure that look into PackMan.

Off Topic, for letting the morons that insist on access to edit site content, but are too stupid to not mess it up and too dumb to learn the back end. What do you suggest? I installed the frontpage addon and set the tinymce template to simple which may work, but it doesn’t look like it supports TVs.

Thanks,
                      Josh