We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 222 Posts
    This idea has been wandering my mind for a long time smiley Glad to see it being discussed. I want to add my 2 cents:

* MODX is now template-centric, while it should be resource-centric. Resource Types would achieve that, and templates are just that -- a way to display (provide) the content to user. Template is about presentation, resource type is about structure.

* Resource types extend the core resource type, which ’contains’ only minimal metadata like id, dates, authors (no titles, aliases, descriptions, content etc.).

* Resource type has its own set of fields (elements), which can be defined the way TVs are.

* Resource type has templates attached to it exclusively with content types and disposition.

* Resource type defines how it displays in manager -- in tree or in grid.

* Resource type is defined inside manager UI.

:)
      This is the web: the only thing you know about who will come is that you don't know who will come.
    • For the record, I did file a feature request:

http://bugs.modx.com/issues/4842
        • 157 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Feb 20, 2011, 07:51 PM

That’s what’s coming as an example very soon Mark.

Did this example ever make it in to the public domain?

DM
          • 2 Posts
          Any update on this topic? Couldn’t get an actual status neither in the ticket mentioned above nor in the product roadmap.

IMO resource types are the last missing "killer feature" in modx. wink Looking for a long time for a CMS including a solid platform for doing some web app features aside from content management. So resources types might be the missing part bringing both together...

Regards
          Björn
          • Resource classes can already be extended to behave as custom "Resource Types", but several improvements are coming in 2.2 to make creating, using, and distributing them much easier.
            • Thanks for the heads up OpenGeek,
              Waiting for this patiently.
              Regards,
              Pablo.
                • 2 Posts
                Resource classes can already be extended to behave as custom "Resource Types", but several improvements are coming in 2.2 to make creating, using, and distributing them much easier.

Sounds perfect!
                  • 202 Posts
                  I noticed this feature in yesterday's 2.2 RC1 release, but where do I actually develop it in the Manager?
                  • I cam across this forum post too when trying to figure out how to create a custom Resource Type - anybody got any ideas?
                      MODX Ambassador for Thailand. Managing Director at Monogon, a web design and development studio based in Bangkok, Thailand. - Follow me on Twitter.
                      • 4,149 Posts
                      It's not a UI-driven point-and-click thing. That will be done in 3.0, via Content Elements. The CRTs (Custom Resource Types) in 2.2 can be done in PHP by extending the modResource class and adding it as a xpdo package. It's more for developers of addons currently.

I'll have tutorials on how to do it over the next month.
                        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com