We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I am attempting to install revolution at Powweb. I encountered the following error:"FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.
    Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working." I called Powweb and was told it is because of session save. I have put the correct path in my PHP.ini, however they are saying the installation script is trying to save the session within itself. I looked into the index.php and can not figure out where to put my session.save_path. which is "/home/users/web/b477/pow.hisworkforce/htdocs/cgi-bin/tmp" any help will be greatly appreciated.

I like the new version so much I am willing to go live with it. I’ll work out the kinks later.
    • Quote from: mattston at Jul 14, 2009, 02:57 AM

I am attempting to install revolution at Powweb. I encountered the following error:"FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.
      Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working." I called Powweb and was told it is because of session save. I have put the correct path in my PHP.ini, however they are saying the installation script is trying to save the session within itself. I looked into the index.php and can not figure out where to put my session.save_path. which is "/home/users/web/b477/pow.hisworkforce/htdocs/cgi-bin/tmp"
      What does "trying to save the session within itself" mean? If sessions are correctly configured on your host, it should just work; it tries to set a session variable the first time you access it, and redirects back to itself expecting the session variable to be available. If it’s not, you get this FATAL ERROR.
        • 24,544 Posts
        I think Powweb uses SuPHP, so you need a line in your .htaccess file telling where your php.ini file is, if you don’t already have one:

suPHP_ConfigPath /home/user/public_html 
        <Files php.ini> 
        order allow,deny 
        deny from all 
        </Files>
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 2 Posts
          Thanks for your help, however more error messages "FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.* MODx requires the pdo_mysql driver when native PDO is being used and it does not appear to be loaded." It turns out that Powweb does not support PDO_mysql. Nor did the .htaccess work. I would imagine there are some people at Powweb that know something, but I did not get to talk to them.
          • Quote from: mattston at Jul 15, 2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your help, however more error messages "FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.* MODx requires the pdo_mysql driver when native PDO is being used and it does not appear to be loaded." It turns out that Powweb does not support PDO_mysql. Nor did the .htaccess work. I would imagine there are some people at Powweb that know something, but I did not get to talk to them.
            I would go for MODx Evolution then, or try a different host. PHP 5.2+ without PDO_mysql is pretty useless IMO.
              • 1 Posts
              I am having the same sessions issue. I decided to ask for help in this thread to keep all of the troubleshooting info together. I’m running:

MODx 2.0.0-beta-3
              PHP 5.3
              MySQL 5.0.51
              Ubuntu 8.04

Going to http://cms.lighthousecf.org:82/setup yields:

FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.

Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working.

Also, here’s a session test that I got off the comments for sessions at php.net: http://cms.lighthousecf.org:82/tmp.php

This must be added to your hosts file to take a look as I haven’t setup a CNAME:

67.223.228.38 cms.lighthousecf.org

In my php.ini, I have:

session.save_path = "/tmp"

As far as I can tell, sessions are set up correctly? Is there anything else I need to check?
                • 24,544 Posts
                Quote from: meekish at Aug 28, 2009, 10:31 PM

I am having the same sessions issue. I decided to ask for help in this thread to keep all of the troubleshooting info together. I’m running:

Going to http://cms.lighthousecf.org:82/setup yields:

FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.

Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working.

I just went there with IE7 and it all looked and worked fine. I got to the page where it wanted the database user and password. Is your problem beyond that page?
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 7 Posts
                  I got this error message "Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working."

It occurs when you are on a server which runs PLESK and you have PHP running as "fastCGI".

There is a "bug" in PLESK. The default session.save_path folder that is set in the php.ini has 770 rights.

When you are running in fastCGI it can not write sessions to that folder. You need to chmod 777 the folder asfollow:

chmod 777 /var/lib/php/session
                    • 170 Posts

chmod 777 /var/lib/php/session does not change anything here, even after restarting the plesk container

Philippe
                      • 129 Posts
                      When you chmod it, you must make it recursive. I just did it and everything's good now.

chmod 777 -R /var/lib/php/session