We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2,314 Posts
    Hi guys,

usually i setup a database with the following settings:
    CREATE DATABASE `check` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

i just downloaded a database from an installation on a live server, and imported it on a local database with the above
    settings. later i saw that the database on the live server used a different Character Set and Collation (latin1, latin1_german2_ci)

the downloaded installation was a MODx 0.9.6.3 RC 2, which i upgraded (local) to the current MODx 0.9.6.3 Version, using the advanced upgrade mode without any problems.

TinyMCE’s setting of entity-encoding is set to raw, and since all pages have been saved again, all special characters are now stored in the database unescaped...everything works perfect!

my question is now:

can this lead to any problems later?, or would the biggest (& maybe/hopefully only ) problem of a changed Character Set & Collation be the incorrect display of special characters?

thanks, j

my config.inc.php details:
    $database_type = 'mysql';
    $database_server = 'localhost';
    $database_user = 'root';
    $database_password = '';
    $database_connection_charset = 'utf8';
    $database_connection_method = 'SET CHARACTER SET';
    $dbase = '`databasename`';
    $table_prefix = 'modx_';
    error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
      • 2,314 Posts
      i just bump this a little bit, i usually don’t do that, but since i posted this thread on a saturday evening (and probably in the wrong place) the thread will need that push smiley
        • 13 Posts
        Well, I have a similar problem with the latest version of modx.

During the install, i specifically asked it to use the utf8_general_ci, but after the install i checked phpmyadmin, and the collation was set to: latin1_german2_ci .

I tried reinstalling it three times, but got the same problem. I even tried the older version 0.9.6.3, but to no avail.

After each install, the Collation of the tables in the database are set to: latin1_german2_ci, even though I select utf8_general_ci during the installation.

I searched, but found no answer.

• Set up the database before installing with the collation you want to use, then select that collation during installation.
            • 74 Posts
            hi guys...I have a similar problem, was wondering if anyone could help. I have my DB collation to utf8, but all the tables are latin1_swedish_ci.....I'm getting caching errors.

What do I do to fix this? Starting over is not an option at the moment....any advice?
              • 24,544 Posts
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting