We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • These have all been around for years, and have huge user bases. No big surprises, either.
      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
      • 7,075 Posts
      As Susan says, this kind of vote favors those who have a wide user base... I would be curious to have our position though. I know Textpattern was in competition, but even with 3 years, their user’s base is not quite there yet. Notice that despite having a lot of users, WordPress did not make it either.
      It seems portal systems have much wider user base... maybe that’s the end user "one clikc" orientation and the "all in one" concept.

Anyway, too bad we didn’t make it sad
      Makes me think, isn’t there any "Innovative CMS award", based on different criterias ?
      I’ll sure give this a look...
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 90 Posts
        More a ’longest established’ award rather than ’best’ award. Remeber the people that are running the award - it makes sense for a publisher to determine which CMSs have a large user base. Plus, it’d be a lot more work to evaluate a CMS based on other criteria, though that is part of the final stage I believe. It will be interesting to look at the judges qualitative evaluation of the top 5 and see how MODx compares.
          • 7,075 Posts
          My guess is either Joomla or Drupal will end up winning : Plone is based on Zope/Python, and while it has many qualities it’s not nearly as democratic as PHP/MySQL application. Xoops has a wide user base and is popular, but has not evolved a lot the past 2/3 years. e107 is an outsider, it’s still rough around the edges, while having many qualities for a portal system I don’t see a not-so-mature system winning.

If it were me, I’d favor Drupal over Joomla, if anything because it has better templating and flexibility...
          Anyway, you’re right Steph for them it’s a good way to analyze which system are popular enough to make a book profitable tongue

Some french people asked me if I had a MODx book in mind in the near future, but as you say to get an editor’s attention, you need user base and we’re not there yet.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 1,097 Posts
            Yes, our only hope really was that a larger percentage of our users would vote than theirs did, and that the community side of things would help promote the award. (Textpattern and WordPress possibly suffered from the fact that once you have a fully working system, people can concentrate on managing their content rather than visiting the support forums regularly). The numbers game always works best when you have more numbers to start with.

Rounding the nominations total up to 12,000 and dividing by five gets you 2,400 votes. As we know that there were votes for many other systems, this means that to get into the top 5 a CMS needed *less* than 2,400 votes. And the more votes #1 gets, the less votes #5 needed (#5 only had to beat #6). There’s not really very far you can get with this logic, but it gives us a rough yardstick of 2,000+ voters. If all 6,191 forum users had voted, we’d be in. (Although that would probably include buy_pills_now_78 and chums).

Hopefully, Packt *will* make this a regular thing (if not annually); once such awards go regular it is common to have "Innovative" / "Best Newcomer" just to add variety rather than having the same guys each time.

One other way of getting some money out of Packt would be for them to publish a book on MODx - they give a royalty to open source subjects - but that’s probably unlikely until we hit a stable-looking number like 1.0. And clearly they’ll do a book on the rest of the top 5 first (I think they already have books on at least 2 of them).

There’s still scope for MODx to benefit from the attention given to the awards, for example in the Digg comments:
            http://www.digg.com/programming/Plone_the_only_non_PHP_CMS_in_the_top_5_of_the_Open_Source_CMS_awards
            - there’s a mention of MODx as "[one] of the better php web application frameworks".
              No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
              MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
              Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
              Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
              Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
              MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
              • 7,075 Posts
              Quote from: PaulGregory at Sep 04, 2006, 12:42 PM
              There’s still scope for MODx to benefit from the attention given to the awards, for example in the Digg comments:
              http://www.digg.com/programming/Plone_the_only_non_PHP_CMS_in_the_top_5_of_the_Open_Source_CMS_awards
              - there’s a mention of MODx as "[one] of the better php web application frameworks".

Thanks for this, indeed it’s pretty nice to be in the same basket as Ruby On Rails grin

PHP/MySQL shows it’s dominance of web development mindshare winning 4 of the top 5 spots. Ruby on Rails misses out (As do some of the better php web application frameworks like ModX)

MODx est l'outil id
              • Quote from: davidm at Sep 04, 2006, 12:38 PM

Anyway, you’re right Steph for them it’s a good way to analyze which system are popular enough to make a book profitable tongue

Some french people asked me if I had a MODx book in mind in the near future, but as you say to get an editor’s attention, you need user base and we’re not there yet.
                One of their people contacted me a few weeks ago about this, but then they started getting anxious about user base, and I haven’t heard any more about it.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 1,097 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Sep 04, 2006, 01:09 PM

One of their people contacted me a few weeks ago about this, but then they started getting anxious about user base, and I haven’t heard any more about it.
                  Which possibly suggests that they’ve already passed data from the nominations process to their R&D dept (or whatever the equivalent is in publishing). Do we have any idea of the MODx user base? I can definitely say that the user base would be greater if there was a decent book available...

Quote from: davidm at Sep 04, 2006, 01:06 PM

indeed it’s pretty nice to be in the same basket as Ruby On Rails grin
                  And that’s from a pro-Plone guy!

I was quite pleased to find that Plone was written in Python, it explains why I’d never heard of it.
                    No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                    MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                    Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                    Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                    Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                    MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
                    • 86 Posts
                    Give it another 1 year and MODx should have a large user base. We will spark at that time. wink

As long as the developement team will not abadon MODx, which I am sure they won’t! laugh

Actually I am more of interest to see how ’Joomla’ is fighting with ’Mambo’ on the nomination. Seems like mambo doesn’t make it at all! That means many mambo users have moved along with the developmenet team to Joomla.
                      • 7,075 Posts
                      Mambo is dead : the good people left for Joomla, and many improvements have happened since then @Joomla not @Mambo. I am not surprised.

About MODx : I think it might take more than a year for us to become a widely spread system. MODx sure has many features not found anywhere else, but it’s power and flexibility derives from the highly customizable angle and that implies skills from its users... which means potentially a narrower user base. It’s a content management framework, not mere content management system.

The good news is, a CMF allows you to build custom systems, which means we wil be able to offer pre-packaged, ready-to-roll distributions of MODx (say Portal distro, Blog distro, Gamer’s distro... etc). But I don’t know if this will be a reality in one year tongue My guess rather is, this year will bring yet more designers and coders, which will mean more extensions, templates, debuggers, additionnal support firepower...

MODx est l'outil id

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.