We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • Sal Baldovinos Reply #12, 12 years ago
      I'm having the same issue, though I haven't worked out if it's the mod_security deal. Adding the samples from the URL Bob provided just gave me Internal 500s

I'm able to, in one chunk (header), add <doctype> but anything else, if I click save it ACTS like it saved, but no "you've successfully saved..." alert.
        Sal Baldovinos
        SEO & DIGITAL MARKETING

ARIEL DIGITAL | Maximize Your Potential
        www.arieldigitalmarketing.com
        • 12 Posts
        Quote from: mayhemchaos at Apr 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
        I'm having the same issue, though I haven't worked out if it's the mod_security deal. Adding the samples from the URL Bob provided just gave me Internal 500s

I'm able to, in one chunk (header), add <doctype> but anything else, if I click save it ACTS like it saved, but no "you've successfully saved..." alert.</doctype>

The same situation over here... Any solution would be appreciated!
          • 24,544 Posts
          There's a new set of mod_security rules that are causing similar problems at hosts where they've implemented them.
            My MODX Extras
            • 31 Posts
            Hello,

I have the same issue: I can save resources, but chunks and snippets are not saving. It just says saving, and it does not complete. I have to reload the page and see the thing is not saved. There is nothing in the MODX log.

I contacted my hosting provider and they assured me it's not a server related issue, and there is nothing in the logs to point to mod_security.

What can be done about this?

Update 1: I did as per instructions here: http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/What_is_mod_security_and_how_does_it_affect_me
            tried adding to .htaccess
            <IfModule mod_security.c>
            SecFilterEngine Off
            SecFilterScanPOST Off
            </IfModule>

withtout the IfModule I'd get the internal server error. I'm guessing modifications via .htaccess are prohibited by the provider, or it is not related to mod_security.

Update 2:
            I found a way to completely disable mod_security through cPanel. (Security / Modsec manager). This did not help. I tested a bit more, and found out I can not create template variables, chunks and snippets. However, I can create Plugins, which are PHP code. So, if some security measure is blocking the saving, I would guess Plugins would be also blocked.

Would anyone recommend re-running setup or upgrade?

Everything is working correctly in my test environment. [ed. note: gr00 last edited this post 8 years, 5 months ago.]
              • 31 Posts
              Also, if I wanted to transfer crated chunks/snippets from test to production, would it be enough to transfer the database, or are there any files created? What minimal changes would I need to make in production to just add the new chunks?
                • 24,544 Posts
                A plugin that fires on the save event for the things you can't save could also be causing the trouble. You can disable plugins by right-clicking on them in the Elements tree. You may also have a missing or corrupted file (fairly common if you transfer them individually with FTP).

Re-running setup never hurts and will sometimes solve problems.

One of the best methods, imo, is to install the UpgradeMODX extra and "Upgrade" to the version you currently have. That will transfer all new MODX files to replace the ones you have now, then run Setup.

Two more things to try:

Check the MODX error log.

Try to save something with Chrome or Firefox dev. tools turned on (Ctrl-shift-i). Look at the Network tab and see if you can see what's happening.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 31 Posts
                  Thanks for the response Bob.

I was able to resolve the issue by upgrading to the latest version. I'm guessing the suggested method would also work, but I tried first with the latest since I needed to upgrade anyway. I did check the console from the browser just before that and seems like xpdo was failing some validation because of character set (don't know what that was about, used to work). There was nothing in the error logs.